Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Members going wuiet
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have lived here since 76, big sister Rosemary lived in deavey crt. just off brook drv. Aussietrekker you would have lived next to Lance & Lyn Mcintosh. Pat have'nt seen June still hoping to,i don't have her ph number.
oceania

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was knocked down around 69/70 and all those fancy brick units built. It had not long been finished when it was deemed to be to close to the refinary for us humans so it remained closed and in moth balls till the end of the Vietnam war when it was used to house the refugees. They landed at Laverton air force base and where bussed down the road.. I was passing by one day with my brother Jack and he took me through the gates up passed the canteen ( it was still there) and I remember all the people hanging out of windows to wave at us a real happy bunch. It was funny to think of it being opened up just for them at the time but I suppose they had to go somewhere.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The canteen was still there for ages. I went up the hostel a few times around 1981, there was an "ecumenical youth group" in Altona, and one of our activities was going up the hostel on a Friday night to help the Vietnamese learn English. They were all very pleasant, and some had been professionals back in Vietnam. BTW our youth group lasted maybe two years- but that's where I met Bruce, and his mate married the Uniting Church minister's daughter, so something long-term came out of it!
Nan I thought it was Deavey Court: and Lyn and Lance were my next door neighbours, haven't seen them in years, do you keep in touch?
flyingscotsman danny

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: members going wuiet Reply with quote

Does anyone remember the Cotterels they lived in the units which would be opposite to the Griffin even though the nissen hut was in their way. the kids names were;Brian he had an older brother whose name escapes me, then there was Marilyn and two younger girls . The last I heard they lived along Miller*s Road Seaholme. They had an uncle Titch. Are there any bells ringing out there Question Question Question Question Question
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope
Olwen Olwen has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Memories all exhausted. Nice while it lasted but naturally it had to come to a conclusion....Good Luck everyone...XXXX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olwen we've just had a little lapse, due to some of us travellling and we lost momentum for a while. It will "die in the arse' eventually, everything does, but we've organised a gathering for August.I got my malfunctioning computer restored yesterday, it's been very unstable for weeks, so I'll be continuing my memoirs again and posting photos of my meetup with Carol Simonds.
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we have been really quiet but I dont think we are all finished yet,I was thinking about the reunion the other day and how I really didnt get to talk to that many people as I was running around like a blue arsed fly most of the day getting money from peole and giving out forms for them to fill in..most of which were done wrong,so we really do need to have another one so that I can catch up this time.
I am still trying to make some sense of some of those questionaires I gave out!!
Flo Hermit was there,who I didnt expect to see,and she remembers loads of things,but I didnt get to talk to her as much as I would have liked to,it was great to see her and Isabelle again.
I was talking to a guy who was on Wacol Hostel in Brisbane when we were there,and he remembers Susan Frost,and he had a really big crush on her,he wanted to know if any body had seen her lately,and when I told him she had been at the reunion he nearly wet himself Laughing
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussietrekker I have been really enjoying your memoirs and look forward to some more instalments. Smile Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: