Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reunion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carol Emanuel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reunion Reply with quote

Do you think we could plan a reunion of Cabramatta Hostel inmates? Has it been done already? Let me know?
Cheers Carol
Helen Stewart

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reunion Reply with quote

Great idea Carol! I wonder if anyone has done this before and could give some clues as to where to start. Wouldn't it be fascinating to catch up with childhood friends and see what their lives have been like and where they are now!
Helen
David Dalrymple David Dalrymple has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reunion Reply with quote

Hi Carol, Welcome to the forum, I have to tell you that I did arrange a reunion many years ago and it was well attended. I have to say that a lot of hard work went into it to track people down but we didn't have facebook etc. in those days. I'd be happy to help but it does need a few people to do it. You never know we might get John Paul Young and John English to turn up.

regards David
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need any help, us Altona people can be the "guinea pigs". By the time we've had ours in April, we'll know what works and what doesn't.
Carol Emanuel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reunion Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Can you give me more details like when you did this; how many people did you gte; did you keep any contacts names etc; where did you hold it; any paper work kept?
Carol Emanuel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reunion Reply with quote

Most of this can be done through email, facebook. Hi Altona group. I lve the other side of melb in the dandenongs. canh I come along and meet you at the reunion or naybe beforehand to let myself know what I am getting into?
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely! It's on Saturday,April 24. You're welcome to benefit from our "teething problems" and interact with other Brits who had the same experience as yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reunion Reply with quote

Hi Carol

We had our reunion in late 87 (I think) and there was a lot of people maybe a 100 or even 200, I'm not good with numbers. We did most of our connections through our soccer team and we did not find a lot of people that we knew. When they all get there you make even more contacts but we didn't think about that at the time and didn't write the details down. Everyone who attended really enjoyed it and there was talk about holding another one but I don't think it ever happened. I know from my own connections with Facebook etc that I think it would be a lot easier now although we are all getting older and we probably wouldn't recognize eachother anymore :) I'm sure the Altona people will be very familiar with how to catchup with people these days. So I'd be interested to know how their reunion goes. I think name badges would be a must at the event and a list of all people contacted sent out by email to trip everybodys memories. I'd certainly be happy to get involved.

regards David
Carol Emanuel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: REunion Reply with quote

Hi Aussie Trekker

can you give me a few more details on my email e.g. place, time, what to bring besides my beauty and smile? [email protected]
Carol Emanuel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: REunion Reply with quote

Sound like the beginning of a plan David. I will start putting pen to paper to plan, finish my house painting by the end of Easter an go to the Altona reunion before we kick start it.
Carol Emanuel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reunion Reply with quote

Would you put your hand up to help Helen? I have planned many many projects although not quite this big and from a distance to but I think we can manage most of it via email, Facebook and this website.
Carol Emanuel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reunion Reply with quote

I might make some inquiries to try and get some funds and/ or in kind support from Fairfeild or is it Liverpool council?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Cabramatta Reunion Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it was Fairfield Council but I wouldn't hold your breath to get money out of them, more likely to get a venue for free. We actually held ours in a club and for the life of me I can't remember which club it was. The advantage was of course cheap drinks and lots of tables to sit at. I'm sure when I start jogging memories someone will remember which club it was. I will be going overseas for a month in 2 weeks time and will be back in late April. I will get the ball rolling by letting people know on Facebook and Friends Reunited so hold onto your hat as this could get bigger than Ben Hur

regards David
Carol Emanuel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reunion Reply with quote

What is friends united?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Friends Reunited Reply with quote

It's a web site ie. www.friendsreunited.com.au which is based in the UK I think and is a great way of catching up with people from your past. You can put in your old schools or workplaces and even Cabramatta Hostel.

Give it a try and see who you find.

regards David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: