Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1965 - schools we migrants attended
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Margaret Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
flyingscotsman danny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Post. Reply with quote

Yeah, good on you Caroline. I*m with you all the way. Exclamation Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral
eileen eileen has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too Smile
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe she would have the hide to stop your Mum moving you to another school! Was there no end to their arrogance? Evil or Very Mad Do you remember her name- the principal must have changed by the time we got there, she definitely wasn't Irish.

My Victoria went to Corpus Christi in Kingsville till grade 4 as her cousin went there, and to St. Patrick's in Geelong till the end of grade 6. We had a smooth ride in both schools, but there were some disturbing archaic attitudes and incidents reported within other families I knew- well out of line in the 90's, and they still get away with things that would not be tolerated in govt schools. Like having class sizes over the maximum legal limit, and protecting bullies and deviant teachers. The principal in the last school sat in silence as I told her that I was making a clean break and sending Victoria to high school at Matthew Flinders, and the wee one into prep at Manifold Heights PS. (both schools BTW have been fantastic, and they've done very well). Another mother I met had strips torn off her by the same teacher for defecting at the same time. But I had a reputation for being eccentric and outspoken- I'd already made a point by refusing to let Victoria go down the Confirmation Treadmill in grade 6, told them I prefer to wait till they're 13-14 and do it individually (if they want to), like the Jewish Bar- Mitzvah!
Laughing
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, that would have gone down well Judith. The Catholic Church is nothing if not very traditional. lol
oceania-V

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Philk"]Thanks Olwyn. I just obtained a copy of the booklet 'A history of Seaholme Primary School' (2004) from the school itself, and someone sharing their memories in it said there used to be a bus full of 'Europeans' from Altona Hostel in 1965 arrive each day. I also remeber going to the school from our hostel by bus, so I guess a good portion of the school's roll then were migrants. Regards, Phil Kerslake[/quote] :?:
Hi How is it possible to look at this booklet?
Philk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:57 am    Post subject: Seaholme School History Booklet Reply with quote

Hi, some years on (!) but, from the person who asked how to get a copy of the Seaholme School history booklet, if the School itself no longer has it, email me and I will scan a copy to you. My email is [email protected]. Kind regards, Phil (Seaholme State School, 1965)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: