Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone remember the Cairns Family

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northamsaint

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Anyone remember the Cairns Family Reply with quote

Hi all

Does anyone remember the Cairns family 1951 >.

There was my Grandfather Horace John (Known as John) Elizabeth May (Known as May), my Aunt Sylvia and Father Michael.

Aunt Sylvia is still alive but my father passed away a couple of years ago. They returned back to the U.K. after my Grand Mother had an accident.

I can't recall his stories, and many photos have gone missing over the years. But, Dad always use to talk with fond memories about the people at East Hills. He badly wanted to return to Australia and catch up with people but was too ill for many years.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope you meet up with someone from your grandparent's time on the hostel.Sadly I didn't know them as we didn't come into the Company until 1954. There may be someone out there though.Please accept my sympathy for the loss of your father and I am sorry he didn't make it back to see the people he knew.
Anyway keep watching and welcome to this site given to us by Len. Smile
garrysmith1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: I remeber the Cairns family. Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Garry Smith and I believe our two families arrived in Austrailia on the same voyage in 1951. We sailed from Glasgow on the good ship "Cameronia". At the time I was 11years old.
This account of course relies on the fact we are speaking of the same Cairns family and my memories returning to around 60 years ago.

If I am correct Micheal was one of my friends, His father John was an amateur magician and hippnotist and often entertained the hostel community on social occasions to the delight of all with his magic and wizardry.

I recall one evening Micheal boasted that he could hipnotise anyone who was succeptable to a trance, as he had watched his father many times. vollenteers were called for and Bruno (nickname) stepped up. Micheal performed his magic with immediate and devestating effect, we were unable to re-awaken him.
The last resort was to own up to Cairns senior who was furious beyond belief, we had to wake him up well after midnight, but we were desperate by this time and had tried everything known to teenagers at the time.

The name Silvia also rings a bell. I send her my best wishes.

I have often wondered about Micheal and those good old days and saddened at his passing.

Hoping this recollection tells you something that you wanted to here.

cheers.......Gareth (Garry) Smith.
Northamsaint

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I remeber the Cairns family. Reply with quote

garrysmith1 wrote:
Hi, my name is Garry Smith and I believe our two families arrived in Austrailia on the same voyage in 1951. We sailed from Glasgow on the good ship "Cameronia". At the time I was 11years old.
This account of course relies on the fact we are speaking of the same Cairns family and my memories returning to around 60 years ago.

If I am correct Micheal was one of my friends, His father John was an amateur magician and hippnotist and often entertained the hostel community on social occasions to the delight of all with his magic and wizardry.

I recall one evening Micheal boasted that he could hipnotise anyone who was succeptable to a trance, as he had watched his father many times. vollenteers were called for and Bruno (nickname) stepped up. Micheal performed his magic with immediate and devestating effect, we were unable to re-awaken him.
The last resort was to own up to Cairns senior who was furious beyond belief, we had to wake him up well after midnight, but we were desperate by this time and had tried everything known to teenagers at the time.

The name Silvia also rings a bell. I send her my best wishes.

I have often wondered about Micheal and those good old days and saddened at his passing.

Hoping this recollection tells you something that you wanted to here.

cheers.......Gareth (Garry) Smith.

Hi there, sorry about the late reply.

Yes it's the same Michael for sure. The boat is the same one as dad was on, I found that on the Ancestry website. Grandad, Horace John, but know as John was a magician and Hypnotist, so your memory is spot on.

Dad was a typical teenager and wound up Grandad quite a lot. Dad use to recall going around with his mates, trips in the bush, riding horses and especially playing chicken holding rocks in a deep pool somewhere close to the hostel.

I will remember you to Sylvia, thanks for taking the time to post that, bought a smile to my face as a typical thing about my dad.

Best wishes

Sean
Northamsaint

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I remeber the Cairns family. Reply with quote

Garry

just spoke to Sylvia, she thinks she can remember you, she asked where you short (excuse the phrase) and fair headed ?

She also recalls the hypnosis event. She said Michael hypnotised one of his mates but said when I say Blue or Bluey you will go to sleep. He then went on to Hypnotise someone else and said Blue / Bluey so the first lad went to sleep. Michael then panic'd as he didn't know what to do. Then they took him back to John to sort out.

My little boy (9 year old) has had a great laugh about this, thank you.

Sean
Northamsaint

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dig up an old thread. But, something jogged my memory about this forum.

Having a read through this thread bought a tear to my eye, someone remembering a story my dear old dad told. Fond memories of sitting at the dinner table with dad telling his stories. Shame he�s not here to read this forum, no doubt more memories would have surfaced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: