Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cabramatta hostel 1964-1965
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hollander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katherine and Ken,

No, I was not in that particular queue, but I did see The Beatles a week or so earlier in Amsterdam. I arrived in Australia a few months later (November '64). Here, over the next few years, I did get to see The Stones, Searchers, PJ Proby, Herman's Hermits, Walker Brothers, Yardbirds and maybe a few more.

Btw. Trish Canfield's brother will be back in Australia on 24 Jan. I'll ask him then for Trish's contact details.

Btw2. My father reminded me that there was another English family from East Hills Hostel that moved to the Orangegrove Estate outside Liverpool. They lived on the corner of Medley Ave and O'Brien Pde (at the Orangegrove Road end of O'Brien Pde). I remember they moved away at some point, but I don't remember their name or what became of them.

Cheers
Ed
Bob Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all as Ken was saying about the Beatles i also saw a couple of other shows at the sydney stadium one was a treble bill with Gerry and the pacemakers,Dusty Springfield and Gene Pitney with backing by Sounds inc,and before that it was Peter ,Paul and Mary i remember them mentioning Bob Dylan who had written a number of songs they had done at that time i didnt know him from Adam but a few student types at the front were whooping and clapping at the mention of his name ,i think the Sydney stadium is long gone now, a old boxing arena with corrugated iron and a revolving stage .
Hollander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Katherine, I've made contact with Paul Canfield and he will pass the info on to Trish. Hope we hear from her soon.
David Dalrymple David Dalrymple has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that be Jack Campbell the wee scotsman, if so, last I heard he was running an Indoor Soccer venue in the Smithfield/Horsley Park area with Big Ed, sorry can't remember Ed's last name.

regards David
Hollander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean the family on the corner of Medley Ave and O'Brien Pde, no, I'm pretty sure that was not Jack Campbell. I think the little soccer playing Jack was nicknamed Scotty. He used to call me "*****" and run off. Charming little fellow.
The family I was talking about had a tall son with a Beatle haircut. His mother developed thrombosis and had a leg amputated.
Hollander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollander wrote:
If you mean the family on the corner of Medley Ave and O'Brien Pde, no, I'm pretty sure that was not Jack Campbell. I think the little soccer playing Jack was nicknamed Scotty. He used to call me "*****" and run off. Charming little fellow.
The family I was talking about had a tall son with a Beatle haircut. His mother developed thrombosis and had a leg amputated.

Ironic that the word that was used to deliberately offend me back then has been censored. In case I might offend myself again I suppose.

I'm afraid that little Scotty's racism is lost on the reader as a result of this over zealous bit of censorship.
Len

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollander wrote:

I'm afraid that little Scotty's racism is lost on the reader as a result of this over zealous bit of censorship.

Glad to see the "Word Censors" working, albeit OTT. Embarassed Smile
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello David

The Jack Campbell I knew in '64/65 was a little wirey lad with sort of ginger hair. He had thick, horn rimmed glasses. He was a smashing lad, and a good friend to me - came to see me off from Circular Quay, when we went back to England.
Jack lived in Blacktown in those days. If you think the Jack Campbell you wrote about is the same fellow then I would be delighted to get any information you might have on him. It would be great to catch up.
Many thanks.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Jack Campbell Reply with quote

Sounds like the same Jack Campbell, he used to play for the Cabramatta Hostel soccer team on the wing, he was very quick for his size, don't know where he lived in those days, we only used to see him when he turned up for games. The last time I saw him was when I was organising a reunion for Cabramatta Hostel in the 80's at the Mt Pritchard Workers Club. His wife was very ill at the time and so he wasn't interested in the reunion but he did give me a list of names which was a big help for the reunion. As I said in my previous post he was running an Indoor Soccer centre in the Horsley Park/Smithfield industrial area. I think it was owned by him and "Big Ed" who was also in the hostel team. I don't think he would be that hard to track down if he's still there and if I was a betting man I would say he is still mixed up with soccer in one way or another. I recently found Willie Dearie on Facebook he might know where he is.
regards David
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

Thanks very much for that. I'll see if I can track him down. Let you know one way or the other.

Best regards

Ken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a google on the indoor soccer centre and came up with the Australian Indoor Sports Centre at Bonnyrigg, I'm quite sure that is the right place but the phone number comes up as no longer connected. I spoke to Willie Dearie and he says he used to drink with him every weekend at the Marconi Club but he now only sees him at the big games like the Socceroos etc. Another friend said he still drinks at the Marconi Club with Pete Ashby another old mate of mine. Will keep you posted.
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David

Thanks again. If you manage to find out more I would be very grateful if you can let me know. Meanwhile I'll keep on trying.

Very best regards

Ken
Katherine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I am going to have a really good search I know I have a cutting from the newspaper. So funny about the queue I remember Trish Canfield said the queue was huge and when we got there Sunday lunch time we were the only ones the queue was In Adelaide.
Katherine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the newspaper photo. I will take it to work and find out how to put it on this web site. The head line at top of picture says BEATLE FRENZY!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken, I got a message from another mate re: Jack Campbell, apparently he lives in Pete Ashby's old house behind the Marconi Club. I did a search in the White Pages online and there is a John W Campbell at 9 Bega Pl, Bossley Park Tel (02) 9610 4980 and when I checked this address on Google Earth it is right behind the Marconi Club. Couid it be that Jack's real name is actually John all these years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: