Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cabramatta hostel 1964-1965
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hollander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: beatle village Reply with quote

rob field wrote:

...I'd like to go back there and get stuck in a time warp.

Rob Field

Here you go Rob. Skip to 1 minute and 45 seconds into this video clip and you're back in Rhubarbs in 1966:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LVfoQzlf7CA

Cheers,
Ed
rob field

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: beatle village Reply with quote

Hollander wrote:
rob field wrote:

...I'd like to go back there and get stuck in a time warp.

Rob Field

Here you go Rob. Skip to 1 minute and 45 seconds into this video clip and you're back in Rhubarbs in 1966:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LVfoQzlf7CA

Cheers,
Ed

Thanks Ed some La De Da clips on page too
Hollander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way Rob, if you're on Facebook, there's a group called "Taylor Square and Beyond". There's a lot of people there (me included) that are stuck in that time warp. You might find some friends there from the days of Beatle Village, Rhubarbs, Beethovens, The Union Jack etc.
chris whalley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Ken locketts book Reply with quote

Ken
This book been published ?
chris whalley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Ken locketts book Reply with quote

Ken
This book been published ?
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Chris

In answer to your question, yes, the story is finished. That's just the start of it, though. Getting a paper and ink copy, the sort we call a book, is another thing.
I've got a publisher for it but it takes ages from the agreement to publish to actually seeing it in the shops. It's been nine months already, but then, so what, the fun part of it was the writing. My daughter is trying to get me to pull the plug on a paper book and do it as an ebook instead, she says it'll make more money that way. She can't understand that I couldn't care less about money.
Enough of that. We lived in 113 AB, that wasn't very far from you, was it? How old were you in 1965, I'm trying to work out whether I would have know you, etc.
I was in Sydney last October; went to visit my old friend Jack Campbell, had a wonderful time, in fact I'm going again next January, can't wait. One last thing, where in Wales do you live, the reason I ask is we used to live in north Wales, a little village called Llanberis, maybe you know of it?

All the best

Ken Lockett
chris whalley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Book Reply with quote

Hi Ken
We lived in hut 133
If you was mates with Jack Campell you probably know my sister Lorraine rather than me Lorraine married Jimmy young They returned back to Glasgow about 68
I was born 1952 and I returned to liverpool uk in 1969
I have returned for holidays and see rellies In Oz but had no inclination at all to live there after the way we were treated
I would very much like to read your book even if it's in a draft format
I too was in Oz in March April (14) and will be there again in March April 2015 to get away from our drab winter
We live in Holywell north wales and know Llanberis very well as I taught physics at the Uni in Bangor for two years
Regards
Chris
Patrick Kennedy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Re Jack Campbell and Cabra Hostel Reply with quote

Hollander wrote:
If you mean the family on the corner of Medley Ave and O'Brien Pde, no, I'm pretty sure that was not Jack Campbell. I think the little soccer playing Jack was nicknamed Scotty. He used to call me "*****" and run off. Charming little fellow.
The family I was talking about had a tall son with a Beatle haircut. His mother developed thrombosis and had a leg amputated.

I know the post above was from 2011 or so but, having just arriving on this forum and not seeing an answer, thought I might advise:
I think the family mentioned was the Mcdermott family. I can recall they had moved to that area by 1966 or so and I sometimes caught a bus from Liverpool station to home with Ann McDermott and she got off near that corner.
Can recall Brian and Kevin McD from the hostel. There was also a younger sibling Len who died in a car accident mid 1960's
Hollander

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your response. We moved from East Hills Hostel to Medley Ave in 1969. I thought that the people I knew moved to the area at around the same time. They lived on the corner of Medley Ave and O'Brien Pde, close to Orange Grove Road. I knew them by sight only, but I believe my parents had contact with them. Another friend from East Hills Hostel also moved to O'Brien Pde, ie. Paul Canfield.

So you lived in the area as well? Perhaps we know each other.

Regards,
Ed
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat

Like I was saying. Jack lives in Bossley Park, near Fairfield. You're quite correct in thinking he spends some of his time in the Marconi Club. And I can tell you, I spent quite a bit of time there myself when I was over on my last visit. Saturday afternoon's are a good time to catch up with some of the old Poms, just sitting around at a big table laughing and drinking and gradually losing your senses. Don't know if you remember Pete Ashby, Hostel lad, but Pete's a regular at the Club.
Jack will be coming over to Liverpool later on this year as part of a big European trip he's making with his charming wife. We'll all be catching up: Jack, Jimmy and me. Jimmy is a Liverpool lad Jack knew well in the late sixties; got a feeling the two shared a flat together for a time. You might know him?
In answer to your question: I live in Aigburth, south Liverpool, not far from the cricket ground, Jimmy lives in Dingle.
But you're quite right, Liverpool has changes greatly over the years; it's still a fabulous to live, has a wonderful artistic history, outside London it's still probably the artistic centre of the country.

Anyway, I'll tell Jack you're posting on this site.

All the best for now.

Ken
Hollander

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

I think Patrick is talking about Liverpool in New South Wales rather than Liverpool England.

Cheers,
Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: