Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cabramatta hostel 1964-1965
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: cabramatta hostel 1964-1965 Reply with quote

Hello
My name is Ken Lockett. My parents, sister and me arrived at Cabramatta in January 1964, we lived at 113AB; funny how you remember.
I went to Cabramatta High School for about six months, I left at the end of the Winter term when I was fifteen - couldn't wait.
My hostel friends were many, but I remember best: Steve Phillips, he was Irish but had lived in south Wales, Steve Underwood from Leicester, little Jack (very firey) from Glasgow - there are too many to list here.
The friend I remember most of all, though, is Kathy Kirwan. Kathy lived with her mum and dad just a few huts down from ours. Kath and me used to go to Beatle Village most weekends - like lots of the Hostel kids.
Kath left the hostel and moved to Manly yet we remained very best friends untill my parents returned to the UK in November 1965.
I now work as an author - who'd have thought it! Anyway, I'm writing a story - in novel form - to be published later on this year, it's a tale hostelers', all, will be familiar with.
If anyone remembers either myself, or any of my friends past, or was on the hostel during that time, and could provide little bits of information on hostel life or how they felt as an immigrant, then I would love to hear from you. Especially if someone has any info on Kathy, Kath's a big character in the story.
Well, there you go, thanks for reading this little piece.
GinaKate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a note to post the title of your novel on here when it is published.
Bob Prince

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken i was on cabramatta hostel from boxing day 1961 till august 1964 before returning to the UK i remember steve underwood also jack from glasgow if his surname was campbell he lived off the hostel we corresponded for a few years ,do u remember Pat and Nuala Kennedy from Acton if i remember right ,went with nuala to see Hard Days Night in Sydney happy days.
Hollander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

We probably bumped into each other at Beatle Village. I used to go there practically every weekend during 1965, whilst I was living at East Hills hostel. The Missing Links were the resident band at the time. I knew a number of people from around Cabramatta (not necessarily the hostel), that were also regulars at BV. Names that spring to mind are Paul Sweeney and his girlfriend Roslyn, Dave Gordon and others. Perhaps you caught the train in with them.

Ed
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

Nice to hear from you. We probably did bump into each other at BV, though to be honest, I can't really remember, it was a long time ago.

I do remember, though, having to be careful walking down Oxford Street, then through Hyde Park, (always a dangerous place at weekends for us English kids), and then if that wasn't enough, Town Hall Station waiting for the last train. Nearly all of us kids on the Hostel got ourselves a hiding at one time or another on the way home. Maybe it was something to do with the way we dressed, or the long hair. Did you have the same problem?

I went to BV with my girlfriend, Kathy Kirwan, Kathy moved off the hostel to Manly. Jack Campbell, from Glasgow, was another friend who often went, as did Dave Pearson, also from Glasgow: perhaps you bumped into them at some time, 1965/1966?

Anyway, all the est for now.

Ken
Hollander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken,

Yes, I remember the nervous walks to and fro BV. After 8.00 pm, Sydney was like a ghost town in those days, even on weekends. It was a playground for gangs of young yobbos that liked picking on the 'longhairs'. Hyde Park was a no no. Oxford St was usually pretty quiet (it's very different today), but Town Hall Station around midnight, was like running the gauntlet. (Those greasy toasted cheese sandwiches from the milkbar were pretty good on a cold night though).

We went in a small group of friends from East Hills hostel and from stations along the East Hills train line: Paul Canfield, Phil Higgins, Tony Tronche, Inga Thomas, Diane Smith, Melvyn (Mick) Jackson and Brian Dewhurst. Remember they had a jukebox in BV? To this day, when I hear Dylan's 'Like A Rolling Stone' or 'Here Comes The Night' by "Them", I'm transported back to Beatle Village. Smile

The names you mention do not ring a bell, but no doubt I did see those people. That whole underground scene was very small and most of them were migrants. When BV petered out, the entire patronage moved on to the next club. I think 'Rhubarbs' in Liverpool street was next.

Cheers,
Ed Jonker
Katherine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I too used to go to Beatle Village I lived at Burwood Hostel at the time. Used to go with Trish Canfield, Ginger Jean, Cathy Wolger(Liverpool girl)
Bernie O'Sullivan, Beatle, Barbra, Vic McCormack Tom Lucas, Speedie, Roger Harriman Ronnie Collins they were all from Heathcote and East Hills I remember the Juke Box and the EASYBEATS were just starting out Snowy the Drummer lived at East Hills. The pub on the corner is still there.
The Entrance to BV is still there. The Memories.
Hollander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katherine,

No doubt we all knew each other by sight. Paul Canfield's sister was called Trish, but she lived on East Hills Hostel. Could that be her? I'm still in contact with Paul from time to time. I could ask him. The pub on the corner became famous as 'French's' in the early 70s. Richard Clapton's 'Girls on the Avenue' is about that pub.

Some more names: Trevor Liddell lived in Burwood and went to BV. Christine Nichol lived in Liverpool and I went out with her for a while. She was lovely.

As I mentioned before, the whole tribe moved to Rhubarbs (and some to Smugglers) in around '66-'67 and got drunk at the Criterion Hotel across the street. They were nearly all 'Poms' (I was an honorary 'Pom' by then).

Yes, the memories (sigh...) Had a heart attack a while ago and now those memories seem even more precious. Think I'll go and put on 'Like A Rolling Stone' again Smile
Katherine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: BV Reply with quote

Hi Hollander, I am pretty sure it is the same Trish and Paul Canfield. Their Mum and Dad moved to Obrien Street near Orange Grove Rd Liverpool. Last I knew Trish moved to Perth. I am still good friends with loads of old Hostel friends. Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers and Merry Xmas
Hollander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Katherine,

Yes, it seems they are the same Canfields. Paul and his family moved to O'Brien Pde, off Orange Grove Road. At around the same time ('68-'69), we moved to Medley Ave, just around the corner from the Canfields.

If you like, I'll email Paul, so he can put you in contact with Trish.

A very merry Christmas to you as well,
Ed Jonker
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katherine and Ed

Love your posts. Keep them coming.

Just like to wish you both, and all ex hostelers', a very happy new year.

Ken
Hollander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a very Happy New Year to you and your family as well Ken. With a bit of luck Katherine and Trish will be able to reconnect shortly.
(I sent you a PM Katherine)

Ed
Katherine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for PM it would be great to find Trish. We were the first in the queue for Beatle tickets outside Palings Music Store near Wynyard Station our photos were in the newspapers on the Monday evening. Please let us know when your book is published Ken.
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katherine

Now here's a coincidence. Myself and a few others from the Hostel were in the same queue for Beatle tickets. As I remember, the queue wasn't anywhere near as long as we imagined it would be. I was the kid in the Brown Beatle jacket (the type with a round neck, no collar) I'd brought it from England and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread, and like you said, the picture was in the paper a day or so later, happy days.
When we saw them at The Sydney Stadium we just went crazy, like everybody else, couldn't hear a thing, but it didn't really matter. They had a different drummer, Ringo was ill or something. Do you remember?
Us kids must have bumped into each other loads of times at BV without really getting to know each other. Funny then that we write these posts now as though we were all old friends. Brothers, and sisters in arms, so to speak.

Al the best

Ken
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katherine

Here's another coincidence. Bob Prince and me were talking on the phone last night, right, and so I mention that you and I were in the same queue that Saturday morning for Beatle tickets. So Bob says "and me, I was with you and Jack. Don't you remember?
Well, I didn't. But I do now. But the thing is: from that small queue formed outside Palings, in 1964, three of its members have posted on this thread. That's you, Bob and me. How great is that! All we need now is to find Jack.
No chance of getting a copy of the photo from the archives of the newspaper that ran the story, I suppose! Big ask, I know.
Anyway, just thought I'd tell you that.

All the best,

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: