Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cabramatta hostel 1964-1965
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an awesome article. I was too young to go. cry
Katherine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I really do not know why I kept the newspaper clip but glad now. Lets hope that Ken and Bob log in and have a look at it, I doubt that they are in this photo. It was magic going to see the Beatles I still have the cigarette pkt that I managed to get out of George Harrisons shirt pocket.
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katherine

Well done for posting the photo. It's not the one Bob and I were in, but so what, it's still good to see how we all looked, back in 1964.
The photo we were in was taken outside Palins, Sat morning, if I remember correctly. We were so excited, we could hardly believe we were queuing for Beatle tickets, and getting them.
What's this thing about you getting a fag packet from George's jacket?
Please tell us more!

Best regards

Ken
Bob Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kath, nice to see the pic ,shame it wasnt the one i was in but thats life ,as a side subject, was David Jones the store on the corner of Elizabeth and Liverpool Sts, and was it the store that burnt down ,i also remember Grace Bros as well,had my first job just up from there in Liverpool St in the basement of the YMCA, picking up architects drawing from around central Sydney for copying a lovely little job for a wide eyed fifteen year old .
Katherine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: picture Reply with quote

Hi, Have no idea why DJ's was mentioned in the article. We were in the Palings que just off George St it was a long alley and Wynyard station was close by. I got the cig pkt out of Georges shirt pocket thanks to a great policeman who let me up on his shoulders and I was able to grab George as they all got off stage. I do know that the tall guy in the photo was dancing with Ginger Jean and he was a medical student from Sydney Uni. Cheers K
Katherine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Store Reply with quote

Hi Bob The store on the Cnr of Liverpool and Elizabeth sts was Mark Foys and is now a court house the store name is still at the top of the building. DJ's is on the Cnr of Market and Elizabeth Sts. I think that Farmers Store was on the Cnr of Market and George and became Myers. Grace Brothers was in Broadway near City Rd. Cheers K
Katherine

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Store Reply with quote

I can remember a store getting burnt down sort of near Liverpool and Oxford Street can not remember the name of it.
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Queue for tickets for The Beatles at Palings Reply with quote

If you have a look at this link, you will see a photo of the queue for ticktes for The Beatles, 13th April, 1964. Richard.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.cs-pa-HTTP%253A%252F%252FACMS.SL.NSW.GOV.AU%252FITEM%252FITEMDETAILPAGED.ASPX%253FITEMID%253D96080[/list]
clarkie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Steve Philips Reply with quote

Hi Ken. My name is Dave Clark, originally from Dunfermline,I lived at Bunnerong Hostel from 65-66. I was good friends with Steve Philips also. He came to the hostel soon after I arrived in July 65. His father Reginald Philips was one of the Hostel Managers. When my family moved to SA in 66 I stayed on and moved in to a flat with Steve at Bondi Junction. He later met a girl from Manchester, Stephanie Ramsden and they eventually moved back to the UK with her parents in 67 and I joined my parents in Adelaide.
I wish I had found the web site earlier it brings back so many memories. Beatle Village, The Oxford,and having to run like mad between them or risk having your long locks cut off by some boggies or wedgies or whatever??? The Union Jack Club opened up and all the kids from all over the UK coming together in the one venue. All the mods arriving with all the latest fashions. I remember a little guy from London, Tony Clark. He came out with the Big Brother Movement.We also used to hang out in one of the Arcades where there was a hairdresser from the UK and we all went to him for the latest cuts.
The Missing Links,Jeff St John and the Id were popular then
We saw the Stones who toured with the Searchers and then the Animals and PJ Proby of all people.
Steve and I worked together at Undersee Products in Harris St., Ultimo.
I have been trying to contact Steve for a while now and even written to the Manchester News and placed an ad but no luck unfortunately. I think his family still live in NSW. There are a few Reginald Philips in the Sydney area but I need to remind myself we are talking 46-47 years ago.
Trust this finds you well Ken
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Clarkie

Good to hear from you. Regarding Steve Phillips, we're talking about the same Steve I presume, from Ireland? I managed to make contact with him through another old mate of mine, Jack Campbell, Jack still lives in Australia, near Fairfield.
Steve is now back in Ireland, Bray, just south of Dublin. I went over from Liverpool to see him last October, he's doing fine, semi retired and all that, turned out to be a very nice man, not that he wasn't back then. It must be the same Steve really because he told me about living in a flat in Bondi and his girlfriend, etc.
If you want, confirm it's our Steve and I'll send you a Private Message with his address and email, then you can make contact.

All the best for now.

Ken Lockett
clarkie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Steve Philips Reply with quote

Ken, this is brilliant. It is definitely the same Steve. He was from Bray but his mother divorced and remarried a Welsh guy. When they came here his father was a manager on Bunnerong as I mentioned. He also had a younger sister. You won't believe this but I am going to Dublin and West Coast Ireland in August. My wifes family are from Galway. We're having two weeks over in Ireland.
Did he marry Steph. They had a really firey relationship when we lived together in Roscoe Street, Bondi. I went out with a girl called Mona. She was from Ashfield. Met her at Beatle Village.Steve already knew her.
Steve and I flatted for about a year all up first in Bondi Junct and then Hastings Parade and then finally Roscoe Street.
Mant thanks for your reply Ken you don't know what this means to me. I've tried different avenues over the years to make contact with Steve. Regards, Clarkie
GinaKate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clarkie, my grandfather was from Ballinasloe, Galway and I'm having a hard time tracing the family tree, I don't suppose your wife knows where all the records are kept. Not much success with the genealogist over here.
clarkie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Ancestors Reply with quote

Hi Gina Kate. I will ask my wifes cousin in Sydney as they did the research many years ago prior to visiting the village the family came from. We are actually meeting up with my sister in law and husband who live in Southern France[he is a froggie] in Dublin and travelling over to Galway for the first time. Looking forward to it particularly if I can catch up with my mate Steve in Bray as I haven't seen him since 1967. Will be in touch, Clarkie
clarkie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Steve Phillips Reply with quote

Hi Ken, did you find Steves address for me. Thanks again regards, Clarkie
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Clarkie

It worked then, Steve's email address. Great. It's a good feeling getting in touch with old friends after all these years, isn't it. Glad to have been helpful.
Like I said in the Private Message, if you can find anything about what happened to Kathy it would be wonderful.

All the best.

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: