Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cabramatta hostel 1964-1965
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bevc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: hostel reunion Reply with quote

CABRAMATTA HOSTEL REUNION
MARCH/APRIL 2013
INTERESTED?
WE'RE LOOKING AT:
WESTS TIGERS, CAMPBELLTOWN
$50 UPFRONT NON-REFUNDABLE
(WE HAVE TO PAY UP FRONT ON BOOKING AND WESTS HAVE A NO REFUND POLICY
IF WE HAVE TO CANCEL.)
ANYONE INTERESTED PRIVATE MESSAGE ME YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND I'LL PUT YOU ON THE LIST.
I NEED TO KNOW HOW MANY YOU'RE BOOKING AND PAYING FOR

I HOPE THIS WORKS OUT, I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING EVERYONE :)
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all

I am wondering if anyone remembers how much the train fare was from Cabramatta to Town Hall in 1965. Also how much to ride the Manly Ferry from Circular Quay to Manly. One more; how much was it to get into Beatle Village?
If you remember please give us a shout.

All the best

Ken Lockett
Bob Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken i used to get a weekly ticket from Cabramatta to Sydney where i used to work in 64 i think it costed me a quid australian, also the ferry to Manly to me is one of the greatest rides in the world all the way across the harbour wonderful in one of the old ferries that had came out from Scotland if my information is right ,Bob
Katherine

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Beatle Village Reply with quote

Hi Ken, I think from memory it was about 4/6d to get into BV.

Hi Bob, Did you come out to Sydney on the SS Orcades arrived Sydney June 1960?

Cheers K
Bob Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kath ,no i arrived on the Fairsky boxing day 1961 at woolloomooloo to pouring rain it was somewhat of a culture shock arriving at Cabramatta hostel to leaden skies.you were lucky travelling out on a P@O boat also how you settling in Queensland,Bob
Katherine

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,l you must have been on Hostel same time as me we left May 62 to live in Burwood Hostel so close to the city and schools. I love living here in Noosa the weather is fanatstic had family staying here from UK for a couple of weeks and they want to emmigrate now. Down side my own children live in Sydney and say they would never live here, only 1 hour by plane so I go to Sydney regularly. Cheers K
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob and Katherine

Thanks for getting back to me, I had a feeling it was about five bob to get in Beatle Village. Still can't find out how much a return to Town Hall was.
Katherine, just as a matter of interest, I went home on Orcades, a wonderful old fashioned P&O liner. It took just over four week - Sydney to London, and guess who was there to meet me off the boat train......... Bob Prince, the very same one. Good, init.

All the best

Ken
Katherine

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken I will check the price of weekly tickets for you with Sydney Rail tomorrow
About 18 months ago at the Sydney Maritime Museum held Migrants to Australia and a huge model of the SS Orcades was on dislpay with heaps of photos of migrants coming to and leaving Oz. I think it was the trip of a lifetime coming to Oz visted so many fantastic places and then the Hostel, how is the book going. Cheers K
Katherine

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken City Rail have given me a phone number for a historical rail society in Redfern hopefully they have the information you require will let you know soon. Cheers Katherine
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Katherine

Thanks for the help you're giving me, I really appreciate it. It's not easy to find things like rail fares and the cost to get in Beatle Village from 1965.
The story's gone quite well, all things considered. It's told in the first person by a boy from south Yorkshire. We meet him when he's five years old, playing in the streets of a litttle mining village not far from Doncaster.
He leaves us sailing out of Sydney on SS Orcades in November 1965. Most of the story recalls his growing into a teenager on Cabramatta Hostel, and life as a migrant in and around Sydney; you can imagine the sort of stuff us kids got up to in those years - not all of it good, although we thought it was at the time. It's nearly finished, just a few odds and sods to sort out.
One of the main characters in the story is my best friend during the time on the Hostel, Kathy Kirwan, but it's proving all but imposible to make contact with her; got married, new surname, etc. I'd like to get her agreement to being in the story before publishing. It's only right.

All the best for now.

Ken
Katherine

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken so sorry I am on night duty and they rang me today, I will ring them on Monday. There must be a way to find Kathy if there is any thing at all I could do from this end let me know. I do know that the Daily Telegraph in Sydney have a column looking for old lost friends. Cheers K
Katherine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Weekly Tciket Reply with quote

Hi Ken, Had a phone call from a staff member from City Rail Freedom of Information.... he said 1964..65 cost of a weekly ticket...there were two types of tickets one was a workers weekly ticket Cabramatta to the City was 13/6d
and a weekly periodical ticket 2nd Class 24/6d... cheers K
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Rail Fairs Reply with quote

Hi Katherine

Thanks for doing that, it's very helpful. I'm guessing the return ticket from Cabramatta to Town Hall, say on a Friday night to go to Beatle Village, would have been about three bob, something like that. Anyway that's what it's going to be in the story.
All the best for now.

Ken
johnmarron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi dave i remember you ,allso jeff ambrose,steve woods,roy pratt,
you forgot to mention rhubarbs ,python lee jackson,great days

john
rob field

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: beatle village Reply with quote

Hollander wrote:
Hi Ken,

We probably bumped into each other at Beatle Village. I used to go there practically every weekend during 1965, whilst I was living at East Hills hostel. The Missing Links were the resident band at the time. I knew a number of people from around Cabramatta (not necessarily the hostel), that were also regulars at BV. Names that spring to mind are Paul Sweeney and his girlfriend Roslyn, Dave Gordon and others. Perhaps you caught the train in with them.

Ed

Hi, I'm Rob Field, sometimes seems like yesterday but really another lifetime, not much written history on the Village and the people who went there, or the bands, but I remember Ray Cooper back then and many others Mick Codder, John Conolly, the village scene and long hair mostly died but for a few hangers on when the Who came along, Rhubarbs Disco was next big thing, but some of us stayed loyal to the hair scene. I'd like to go back there and get stuck in a time warp.

Rob Field
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: