Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'ts a small world

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caroline caroline has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: I'ts a small world Reply with quote

I thought you all might find this interesting, lol. I went to a supermarket this morning not my ususl one which was closed, when the chap behind the counter started up a conversation, asking me where abouts I came from in Scotland,Well I am still on a high about our reunion and start telling all about yesterday and what a great event it was, he looked astonished and said I was on Wiltona Hostel,you could have knocked me down with a feather.He said his family name is Cooper and they were on the hostel in 1965 he himself was only 2 years old. I gave him all the information about the website which he will pass on to his father, who he said would have loved to have been at the reunion, I told him there will be another one as we all want to keep in touch, but talk about a small world. lol.
Olwen Olwen has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: I'ts a small world Reply with quote

caroline wrote:
I thought you all might find this interesting, lol. I went to a supermarket this morning not my ususl one which was closed, when the chap behind the counter started up a conversation, asking me where abouts I came from in Scotland,Well I am still on a high about our reunion and start telling all about yesterday and what a great event it was, he looked astonished and said I was on Wiltona Hostel,you could have knocked me down with a feather.He said his family name is Cooper and they were on the hostel in 1965 he himself was only 2 years old. I gave him all the information about the website which he will pass on to his father, who he said would have loved to have been at the reunion, I told him there will be another one as we all want to keep in touch, but talk about a small world. lol.

It seems like it was all meant to happen doesn't it. Olwen
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly does, so I think we'll have a bigger turn out next time as word will get around.
Olwen Olwen has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan Gillet wrote:
It certainly does, so I think we'll have a bigger turn out next time as word will get around.

Maybe earlier and more widespread advertising eg/. local papers and radio.....Something to work towards for next time.....Olwem

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are both right, we will probably have a lot more people next time, but I think it gave all of us,who went to the reunion a chance to talk to each other ,and renew old friendships.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, me ol' Trekmate, and we can do stuff in small groups in between reunions. Come down any time after June 2 and see my collection- as I'm going to England in 18 days.

Maybe we could have an outing to the Immigration Museum, or just go out to lunch every few months. Also we could have a day in my garage playing old records- I keep an old stereo in there for when I'm working, yesterday it was Victoria's birthday party and some of us oldies went into the garage and sang along to old 45's all afternoon, it was awesome, and maybe we could do it sometime.
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention the musium Judith,Linda and I were talking about having a trip in to have a look at it,what say we make a day of it and go to luncc at the same time..anybody interested????,will have to be Mon Tues or Wed though as I work the other days
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be in that, Monday or Wednesday is good for me. I'm here for another 18 days, then after June 2 is good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Smile Smile I will be in that too, [I have seen the new museum and it's gorgeous,] when me mate Judith gets back from her trip.xxx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes whoops just realised it's the immigration museum, I have'nt been there, should be really interesting.
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep me posted on that, I will be back from my trip on the 9th May, and I could always get my son to look after the girls on the day I come to meet up with you all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Altona Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: