Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creek

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wirralar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Creek Reply with quote

Did anyone else go fishing at the creek? We used to take an old saucepan and catch "tiddlers". Once I caught a mullet on a stick and bent safety pin - no bait - and proudly ran home with it still on the line as I was too scared to get it off! Our cat pounced on it before I could show my Mum - best thing really. The cat had been found as a kitten in the long grass between our hut and the track to the creek a few months earlier, and was quite wild. She lived outside in a box on top of one of our large wooden shipping crates.
Hollander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Creek Reply with quote

wirralar wrote:
Did anyone else go fishing at the creek? We used to take an old saucepan and catch "tiddlers". Once I caught a mullet on a stick and bent safety pin - no bait - and proudly ran home with it still on the line as I was too scared to get it off! Our cat pounced on it before I could show my Mum - best thing really. The cat had been found as a kitten in the long grass between our hut and the track to the creek a few months earlier, and was quite wild. She lived outside in a box on top of one of our large wooden shipping crates.

Yes, I used to fish in the creek nearly every day. But that was in 1965 and I was 16 (sigh).

Ed
Backbyrner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, loved fishing in that creek, also with a bent pin. I caught a turtle once and took it back to the flat and put it in the bath. My parents went ballistic when they discovered it - he he.

I also rescued a kid that fell into a waterhole in the creek. I was only 8 at the time and he was an Italian boy of about the same age. This would have been in late 1971.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> East Hills Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: