Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wacol hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Lost Friends:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabre

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: wacol hostel Reply with quote

Hi,
My name's Kevin Brett and was on the Wacol hostel from 1964-66. We lived on "A" block. I had two brothers, Bob and Tony (Bimbo .... don't ask)
I would really like to catch up and chat with people who were there around that time. Most of the people I knew ranged in age from 13 to 18.
A few names I do remember are Susan Frost, Margaret Lyndsay (?), Geogina (George) Wilson and a guy whose last name I'm pretty sure was Barry. We got drunk one night and fell off a motor scooter, His mum poured vodka ( I think) on our cuts ........ don't try it, it bloody hurts.
If any of you are out there or anyone knows them please let me know.
Your fellow P.O.M.E.
Kevin.
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin, Carol Here,you mentioned Susan Frost,we had a reunion a couple of weeks ago for the Altona Hostel in Melbourne,and Susan Frost attended with her sister Lyn,they also lived on Altonal Hostel the same time as we did,along with the McKeemans,they also lived on both the hostels as well.Susan doesnt look a lot different,neither does Lyn for that matter.And I remember Margaret Lyndsey too,she actually went out with Paul Naylor before my sister Linda grabbed him!!
kabre

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carol,
You're a wealth of information, it's a pity I didnt find this site before.
Susan was my first love .... on the camp anyway. I remember her moving to Melbourne and we kept in touch for a while but that ended as things tend to do.I don't remeber her having a sister though. Is she still in Melbourne do you know?
Would be nice to chat to her.
Do you or Mick remember the two brothers, the McCartneys of all things, who started a band and opened for the Stones when they toured?
I'm sure it was McCartney.
Cheers
Kevin
timeseller

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Wacol Reply with quote

Hi Kevin,
I think the brothers you're talking about were John and George Brownrigg. A couple of talented scousers. John on guitar and George on drums.
They ended up melding with the old Shadows/surf type band that played at the old rec hall under the name of "The Seekers", (before the Young Conservative/kiddysong mob). They then became "The Feelgoods".
Two shots at a name and they still couldn't get an original. Bugger.
Chelseas were originally booked to do that Stones gig but we lucked out. We should have upped the bribe.
Nice couple of blokes. I had a few jams with them. Even asked me to jump ship and swap bands.
Should've
Hope you're well. Den Manning.

What I really wanted was a screamer... or a moaner.
kabre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Den,
Thanks for that. Now you mention it I do remember that they joined with those guys, and I thought they were the Feelgoods but wasn't sure. Between you and Carol you could just about write a history of Wacol in the mid sixties. Laughing Where the hell did I get McCartney from.I'm pretty sure it was you I hung around with on the hostel. My younger brother remembers you, he also remembers Ray because when he came to our hut he used to bring him lollies, typical. It's a pity mum has passed away, she thought the world of Ray and she would have loved to have known what he achieved. I intend coming over to Brisbane some time fairly soon and would love to catch up with you and maybe jog a few memories.
Thanks for your reply.
Cheers
Kevin
Susan Gillet

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Kevin
Susan Frost (now LeSeur) is still living in Melbourne. I was on Altona Hostel and we eventually moved to the same street in Braybrook where Susan and I both like the same fella...........she got him. lol
It was great catching up with both Susan and Lynn at the reunion Carol mentioned.
Hope you get more info on your friends and acquaintances from your time on Wacol.

Sue Hird. (nee Gillet)
kabre

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue,
Thanks for that. It's nice to hear about old ( not elderly Laughing ) friends.
If you see Sue say hello from me. she probably won't have a clue who you're talking about Confused .
Cheers
Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Lost Friends: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: