Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chch earthquake
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabre

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Chch earthquake Reply with quote

Just survived a 7.1 earthquake. Feels good to be alive and kicking but I really need a shower.
Zoltan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord that must have been horrific! Is the damage very widespread?
What was seen on news coverage looked very serious, and the cut to services like water and power, what a trial! It is so fortunate that it did not strike when the population was up and about. But the aftershocks appeared to be very powerful too. Did they last as long as the first quake and cause more damage?
kabre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some areas are quite bad but I think most parts have limited damage. The aftershocks are more a nuisance than anything else, most people just continue talking through them. The mayor here is making more of it than there needs to be, there's an election coming up and he's trailing in the poles. Evil or Very Mad I lost power for about four hours and water for around ten but it's all back to normal where I am. Those by the river are bad but that was more due to a huge swell in the river lifting the water table. We got off lucky for the size of the quake.
Zoltan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well, it's good to hear there was no fatality. Things can be mended. Beautiful country is NZ. I've only been to Auckland enroute to USA & Canada, where incidentally I have family living in close proximity to the San Andreas fault line! They are living on their nerves what with the activity in the Pacific Rim of Fire!
kabre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we're on the same rim apparently. It's amazing there were no deaths and only two serious injuries. Funny but my dog went straight back to sleep after it.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Kevin,
We are 100 miles south of you and I was scared stiff .We were almost shaken out of our bed and a lot of things were on the floor but we got off lightly for sure. Couldn't find my cat for a while but he was inside the house. There has been quite a bit of damage in our area,Timaru and surrounds.Though there have been about 100 aftershocks I have only felt three of them.
It has been awful and feel so sorry for all the people whose homes are damaged and will probably have to be demolished.
kabre

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl,
I hope there's not too much damage down there. It's funny how the media are ignoring some of the other centres. The two aftershocks last night were quite bad but let's hope they'll be over soon. Stay well down there.
Cheers
Kevin
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes felt the 5.4 after shock Kevin.We have had damage to several churches ,an historic pub in Temuka and houses so quite a few problems.Poor St Mary's Chuch had just been done up costing 2 million dollars and that has all gone. Sad So sad. Sad
Hope you didn't get any damage so keep safe and don't forget to boil your water,if you have it.
kabre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're starting to talk about another big one coming. It's all good news here. Might move to Oz.

Kevin
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit old to change .My son in Australia always wants me to go back..Too hot in the summer and I remember in early 1973 a 5.5 quake in Sydney.Not on the same level I know but still a quake.
Smile
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's all scary stuff. Quakes in NZ, floods in Oz. The planet is having a hissy fit. I pray that you will cope with whatever happens next, and that there will continue to be no more fatalities.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou Aussietrekker, though miracle of miracles there have been no fatalities in the Canterbury quake and had another shake this morning and though it was 5.1 it was shallow so was really felt .There have been about 120 aftershocks and everyone is so scared. We felt it here .The whole thing is a nightmare.
hope things are getting back to normal in your floods.Our North Island has had flooding too.
Poor world cry cry
kabre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of good ones this morning. I've been at my oldest daughters place, she's not coping too well and her kids have taken to a routine of as soon as they feel a shake it's straight under the door frame. I wish I could move that quick. We've been told the aftershocks could go on for up to four months. Santa could have problems at xmas, there may not be any chimneys left for him to climb down. Sad Smile

Kevin
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santa I'm sure will find a spot to enter the house ,there will certainly be heaps of rebuilding going on in ChCh. Aftershocks can go on for weeks as we saw after that quake down south last year. It was 7.8 but fortunately away from built up areas though Invercargill had some damage.
I feel so sad for your daughter and the children.So many people are so scared. Sad
Timaru is finding more and more cracks in buildings.
kabre

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl,
My brothers cat went missing the night of the quake and they finally found it inside the recliner. It had been there nearly two days. I couldn't stop laughing when he told me. Been a quiet day today, a lot of nerves on edge in case it's the calm before the storm. Good luck down there.

Cheers
Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: