Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

mike cooper - holmesglen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooparia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: mike cooper - holmesglen Reply with quote

I was resident at Holmesglen hostel from about 1953 (I was 11 years old) with my mother (jean cooper) my father (Les Cooper) and my brother Paul (three years younger than me.) - we only stayed for about three or four years i seem to remember. I attended Lloyd Street Central School. i have visited Australia eveery year for the past fifteen years as a performing musician and travelled extensively in Australia. In all that time i have never met anyone who i went to school with or who lived on that camp when i was there. My name is Mike Cooper and i currently reside in Rome/Italy.
kate fletcher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Holmesglen Hostel from 1958 - 1962 with my parents, and I've never since met anybody who was there either; yet hundreds of families, if not thousands, must have lived at Holmesglen over the yesars.
kimmy56

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i to was on holmesglen from 1967-1968
kate fletcher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a photo taken in Holmesglen Hostel near the kindergarten, showing part of the Rec, Canteen and 2 huts in the early 1960s on
www.burwoodbulleyin.org
The photo's of two boys, David and Robert Van Asten, but although I was at Holmesglen then, I don't remember the family.
The hut in the photo that's half-hidden by the other one is the hut my parents and I lived in, hut 34. We faced the Rec across Power Avenue. There were two swings, a climbing frame and a chute on the other side of the Van Asten boys, but they're not shown in the picture.
My parents neveer took any photos of the Hostel. I think they didn't want to be reminded of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: