Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did you meet your partner on or through a migrant hostel.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabre

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Did you meet your partner on or through a migrant hostel. Reply with quote

I've spoken to a few people on here who met their spouses on migrant hostels and I wonder how many others have met their spouses, whether current or not, either on or through a migrant hostel.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I was already married
Smile
kabre

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seem to be a few that met their partners on Wacol hostel. Stormfour and her sister to start with.
AnaLevar

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents met at Bunnerong Hostel as Dad (Joe) was working with my Aunt Jenny in the kitchens when Mum (Rita) came out here in 62.
kabre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What amazes me is how many of these couples are still together and enjoying their marriages. I wonder if this has something to do with the values our parents taught us. If anyone has any ideas on this then please feel free to comment.
Cheers
Kevin
stormfour stormfour has been starred

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are still together as are My sister and her husband who happens to be my husbands brother Confused .We very often just sit and talk about the hostel(wacol) I hated it,but then I hated living in QLD so I wasn't really responsive to anything positive while we lived there,I have to say that I was elated when my parents decided to move back to Melbourne,I had already met my husband but we did not get together at this point in time,we were always crossing each others path as my sister was married to his brother,but it was in later years when both our first marraiges had broken down,that we finally got together,I suppose it was always meant to be!!!
kabre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Carol,
That's exactly why I put up the post. I wondered how many other couples there were out there with similar stories. I noticed that Dens sister appears to have met her husband either on or through the hostel, with both Mick and him being Chelsea Set members it seems highly likely. Apparently he used to visit in his MG.
Sounds like second time lucky for you and Mick, I hope you have many good years ahead of you.
Cheers
Kevin
Katherine

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting subject. I met my husband via the Hostel when we used to go to Beatle Village we are no longer together however have wonderful children and grandchildren. I am still good friends with other married couples from the Hostel Days. Bernie O'Sullivan and Elaine Meakins from Heathcote Hostel. Vic McCormick from Heathcote and Stella White from Burwood Hostel and Roger Harriman and Angie from East Hills and Heathcote. When we all get together we enjoy chatting about Hostel days,
wallybrit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I met my wife on the Holmesglen hostel in 1968. She migrated with her family the same year as I did with mine in 1967, but they went to Cabramatta in Sydney. After a year they moved down to Melbourne. Still married with 3 children and 2 grandchildren. I'm from the south-east, (Surrey) and my wife is from the nort-east (South Shields) Interesting combination!!!!!
kabre

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wallybrit,
There must be so many couples out there with similar stories to yours. With that combination I'm surprised you two can understand what each other is saying. I also lived in Surrey, Carshalton to be exact.
Still would like to hear of more couples.
Kev
wallybrit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kev,
What a surprise, I am from Carshalton too, Pershore Grove. Where did you live. Where was the Wacol hostel. I've never heard of that one.
John.
kabre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
What a small world. We lived in Welbeck Rd early on but outgrew that place, got moved to Winchcombe Rd and got burned out of that place, another temporary place in Winchcombe then to Wrythe Lane. We left there in '60 or '61 to go to Bexhill then finally to Brisbane in'64. I went to Sutton Grammar while I was in Carshalton. It's funny how many people you meet from that area. My best mates Dad lived in Peterborough St, another friend was born in St Heliers Hospital. And to top it off my brother in Auckland picked up a fare from the airport in his shuttle who turned out to be our next door neighbour from Wrythe Lane.
I went back in '98 and to me it seemed to have hardly changed, except the roads were much smaller than I remembered, but then I was much smaller then as well. Have you been back at all?
Cheers,
Kev
wallybrit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kev,
Yes it is a small world. I went to Welbeck Rd. and Green Wrythe Lane junior schools and then Welbeck Rd. senior school. What number in Peterborough Rd. did your friends dad live. ( Peterborough Rd. is at the end of Pershore Grove, where I lived, if you didn't know.) I went back in 2000, and like you, I thought it looked the same but different in some ways. I agree with you about the roads. I don't want to be too personal, but how old are you.
John.
kabre

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
I am 62 this year, but feel 10 years younger. I can't remember the number but it was directly opposite the junction with Welbeck Road. I went to Winchcombe junior school, then to Sutton Grammar, which I didn't enjoy at all. I found Pershore Grove on a map I have, I seem to recall there was a small shopping centre on Green Wrythe Lane around there somewhere. I can remember walking to it with mum when I was a toddler. It may not have been that far down Green Wrythe lane. Our house was two doors up from Green Wrythe lane on the other side from Welbeck junior school.

Cheers
Kev
wallybrit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Kev,
I'm 62 this year also (July). I don't remember the correct name of the shopping center you mentioned, but we called it "the circle" because there was a roundabout in the middle. It had a big pub on one side called The St. Helliers Arms. Do you remember any other names from the area or Welbeck school.
John.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: