Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hostel Stories, Migration Museum, Adelaide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatherineManning

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Hostel Stories, Migration Museum, Adelaide Reply with quote

Hi Migrantweb,

My name is Catherine and I'm the senior curator at the Migration Museum in Adleaide. We're researching migrant hostels in South Australia and I'm very keen to hear from anyone who stayed in one. You can learn more about our project at our website: http://www.history.sa.gov.au/migration/exhibitions/hostel-stories.html

We've also started a Flickr group for people to share photos of the hostels they stayed in: http://www.flickr.com/groups/migranthostels/

I hope to hear from some of you in the future!

Regards,

Catherine
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Catherine

I was interested to read about your project. My parents, sister and me emmigrated to Australia in 1963 on the �10 assisted passage scheme. We ended up at Cabramatta Hostel in Sydney, where we stayed for two years. We returned to the UK in 1965; big mistake in my book.
I now work as an author, and am currently writing an account of the period leading up to the departure for Aus, to our return home!
If I can be of any help with your research then please don't hesitate to contact me; in fact, you may be able to help me with my research, who knows.

All the best, and good luck.

Ken Lockett
CatherineManning

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Cabramatta Hostel Reply with quote

Lovely to hear from you Ken,

I think you're the first person we've 'talked' to who stayed at Cabramatta. As we're a South Australian museum we tend to focus on SA and to get responses from SA migrants. We're certainly interested in the bigger picture though, and I'll keep my eyes open for anything you might find useful.

Regards,

Catherine
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering where all the SA folk were- considering how many Brits went to Elizabeth.
CatherineManning

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Where are all the South Australians hiding? Reply with quote

aussietrekker you make a good point,

We've had a great response offline though, almost 300 people registered so far!

The University of Adelaide is now leading the research and we have support from a number of community partners. You can read more about what we've been up to here: http://migration.historysa.com.au/files/resources/research/callouts/76-hostel-stories-newsletter-april-2013.pdf

The exhibition is now scheduled for December 2013, with reunions, a conference and publication (we hope) to follow.

Still would love to hear from any interested former residents!

Catherine
Katherine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Catherine, Our Family left UK as 10 pound poms on 22/5/1960 on the SS Orcades. I made some great friends on the SS Orcades many disembarked in SA. We went on to Sydney however I do remember we left the ship in SA I think Port Adelaide and boarded a train to take us to the city!!!!! We had come from London the train was exactly the same as those from the wild west movies funny wooden venetian blinds no glass windows, I remember my Mum saying Wyatt Earp would be boarding soon. We are still living in Australia. Cheers Katherine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: