Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Matraville Hostal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanekere

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Matraville Hostal Reply with quote

Dear members,

I have lived as a young boy in one of the hostals in Matraville. At that time I was 5 years. I lived there with my parents from 1963 till 1964. My parents returned to Holland in 1964. This year I want to visit Matraville again with my brother and sister and wants to know the exact location of the hostal . I have two pictures of the hostal but I cannot recognize if it is on Daunt Avenue , Bunnerong, Pozieres Ave.

Can someone help me?

Reinier Vaneker
Almere
Netherlands
JoopMul JoopMul has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo Reinier.

It is more likely that you were in the one in Pozieres Ave, where we Dutch and other, non-British were.
I don't know if you've seen my photos of the one in Pozieres Ave, where we were. One of the photos I took from the hill that lay between the hostel and the shopping centre, on Bunnerong Road.
I imagine that you would have to remember that hill, if you stayed in Pozieres Ave. The other direction was towards the tramlines and Anzac Parade.

The one, on Bunnerong Road, (Usually known as Bunnerong Hostel and, during our time mainly lived in by British immigrants) was bigger (Had more space around it.) and was right on Bunnerong Road. So you might have remembered more traffic, there.

They are not far apart. So if you DO visit this year, it shouldn't be too much trouble to find both locations.

You will not recognise any buildings.

I retired early, as a school teacher, to look after my parents, ( now about 8+ years ago ) and to have something to do, I invited Dutch visitors to come to Padstow Station, where I picked them up and first brought them to my father, who loved company / visitors. He would tell them all about our migration here and then I would drive them back to where they were staying, usually, in the city. Just because I enjoyed showing them where Matraville Hostel was; the school; our house, opposite Bunnerong Hostel, Mallabar beach, Maroubra Beach, La Perouse etc..
My parents have both passed away now. Things are different, for me now.

I would still be happy to help you find these places. Simply because I like having a reason to go back there every so often. If only just to give you directions.

My Dutch is still fine. So that's no problem.
If you DO need help finding these places. Do let me know.

My parents and I, along with our friends, the van Hoorns, were in "Matraville" Hostel in the summer, of 1956/1957. I know because I first needed to travel by tram, to high school, from the hostel, at the beginning of 1957.

My Dutch name: Joop Mul
My 'legal name': Jo Mulholland

jo apenstaartje ozcloggie.com[/youtube]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: