Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hostel and Housing Commission Settlement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bradfield Park Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MichaelH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Hostel and Housing Commission Settlement Reply with quote

Hi all,
I was not a resident in the Bradfield Park migrant hostel, but I lived for two years (1947-9) in the Housing Commission settlement next door - before the hostel existed. Since I was about ten years old then, I am a quite 'senior' citizen now!
I am writing an account of the whole Bradfield Park housing complex, including the hostel for European refugees (1949-51), the hostel for mostly British migrants (1951-71), and the Housing Commission settlement (1947-63). It will be published by the Ku-ring-gai Historical Association, probably next year (2012).
I am interested in all the accounts in the forum, and would like to be able to quote from a few of them. I would also like to use some of the photos. So, at some stage I will want to get in touch with people to get your permission. That photo from Phyl of the last supper in 1971 would be wonderful to use.
I am also interested very much in any account of life in the refugee hostel, since there are almost no memoirs of people from that era.
Another question concerns the final year of the hostel. I understand that it was not exclusively for British migrants in the last few years, and I wonder who the others were.
Otherwise, by all means let me know what you think.
Michael
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sent you a pm MichaelH so hope you receive it all right.
As far as I know the hostel still had mostly British folk until it closed.There were a few people from Holland on most of the hostels and from a few other countries.Many of the staff were from Europe.
MichaelH

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Phyl. Yes, I received your other message. I am still working my way around this system, but so far so good.
Michael
colleen hewes(nee Lee)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,
I lived in the Housing Commission settlement with my family.I was around 6 yrs old at the time.We moved to a Housing Commission home at Green Valley around 1963/1964.(My brother was born in November 1964) but I cannot remember how long we were in the house before he appeared.I remember attending the local public school & vaguely remember walking past a childcare centre & I think there was a Catholic school in the area ( or the bus stop for them to get to school).I do not have any unhappy memories about living there but do remember there was plenty to keep us kids occupied & lots of kids to play with.I cannot remember any specific names that far back(I am terrible with remembering names of people I have not seen for a long time)
MichaelH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colleen,
You must have been one of the last families in the Housing Commission Settlement, as it closed down early in 1964, although the Migrant Hostel continued there till 1971. There was a Catholic school in the camp - St Joseph's - but it also closed down in 1964. Your memories of a happy time with lots of other kids are shared by many ex-residents of both the Settlement and the Hostel, although it must have been much tougher for our parents.
Michael
colleen hewes(nee Lee)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,
Yes it would have been tough for my parents.We moved to Housing Commission home in Green Valley & I lived there for 21 yrs until I married.My father passed away there when I was 19 & my mum moved to a Housing commission unit about 3 years later.We struggled financially but my parents always ensured my sister & I followed our dreams with our Marching Girl comps.Can you let me know when this book you are doing is available as I would like to get a copy.
ajm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: new user Reply with quote

Hello all,

my family was housed at Bradfield Park from 1951 until about 1953. At that time there was a major dispute with Commonwealth Hostels and a huge number of British migrants finished up being turfed out of the hostel. The dispute was widespread and included other hostels as well. Many moved to Little Bay and established a community there where a co-operative was formed to aquire land and build houses, some still reside there.

The facilities at Bradfield Park were very basic with community eating facilities and ablution blocks, the food was awful and that lead to a substantial contribution to the dispute.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bradfield Park Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: