Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fisherman's Bend Hostel 1968-memories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fishermans Bend Hostel:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentlereader

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:37 am    Post subject: Fisherman's Bend Hostel 1968-memories Reply with quote

I emigrated to Melbourne, Australia in 1968 with my family. I was 13 years old. We stayed at the Fisherman's Bend Hostel in Port Melbourne I think it was. At this age I knew a lot of the teens also around this age. We went to the Middle Park cCentral School unless we ducked behind the cars at the bus stop and said it went past and didnt stop. We would go to one of our huts and watch 'Days of our lives' and have tons of innocent fun. We used to hang together although there were two groups..unfortunately becasue of where you came from..one group was Europeans with an accent and one was the british one. I had friends in both groups and we stayed there for six months till we left to take on our Australian life in the suburbs. Many of us kept in touch at first but eventually went our own ways. We knew people from other hostels becasue we came over on a certain ship together. I came on the MV fairsea captain narcissa dati I think, I kept the paper they put up of the last days activities. I did have a badge also but it got lost in time. Our purser was Carlos Salsedo and many of we younger girls had a crush on him. Those are my first memories here..not mentioned here is the aching homesickness and the troublesome heat. I came from Manchester England landed here April 14th 1968 . We left England on March 11th 1968. If anyone reads this and would like to share their memories or even who may remember me, I would love to read your replies. Razz
pam forsberg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Fishermans Bend Hostel Reply with quote

I was also at the Fishermans Bend Hostel from approx. 1960-1961. I went to the Graham Street State School during that time... I remember horrible outside toilets, doing woodwork and being in a composite grade..I have one school photo...My family and I also travelled to Australia on the 'Fairsea'...the only photos I have are of me on board ship dressed up for the fancy dress party and I have a couple of photos of me at the Fishermans Bend Hostel.
I have found some information online about the Fairsea with photographs, which is great. I never regret coming to Australia...I think we live in the best country in the world
Would love to share memories with you,
Pam.
lwalton

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the fisherman's bend hostel from june 1965 when I was 15 to about september 1966. I am still in touch with a few "kids" from those days and we had a lovely reunion at bell's hotel in south melb. in 1998.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Fishermans Bend Hostel: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: