Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photos shared by June Davis: Smithfield Hostel 1957

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Len

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Photos shared by June Davis: Smithfield Hostel 1957 Reply with quote

These photos have been shared by June Davis.

wynn7755

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Photos Reply with quote

Razz Thank you Len for putting the photos on for me
They have come out ok.
Can I put names one somehow? at the age we all are now I don't reconizise myself scary stuff but I hope they will bring some joy to the people concerned.
Wynn
Spike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start the ball rolling by naming whatever and whoever I can, Wynn might have to correct me later and then I can correct any errors. Firstly not to confuse the readers when they see cars that were not around in 1957, I will say that the larger photos were taken by June about ten years after the smaller ones, just before the Hostel closed.

Hut numbers etc can be found on the drawing I will upload to this thread shortly.

#01. Standing on the road beween the Dining Room and Hut 37 looking North, back towards the Main entrance.

#02. The Hostel Kiosk and Public Phones (Building 52)

#03. The Main Entrance looking south.

#04. The Recreation Room where June and her friends used to Rock the night away. Movies were also shown here for the Hostel residents and were also attended by many of the Smithfield locals.

#05. Another shot from the same place as #1 looking more to the right, here you can see the Toilets and Ablutions Blocks and part of the Dining Room at far right.

#06. June and Eric's two sons playing on the playground equipment (late 1960s)

#07 June Alderson, Eric Davies and Terry Coffey.

#08. June Alderson.

#09. Eve "Pip" Malpass, Marlene Smith and Marlene Newbury, near the flagpole between Hut 36 and the Hostel Office with the Dining Room in the background.

#10. Taken On Smithfield Railway platform which was directly adjacent to Building 33. Showing Eric Davies, Val ?, Ken Hiscock and Pam? (Val's sister).

#11. June Alderson and (Dora Smith ?)

#12. ? same as above.
(My humble apologies, June did tell me, but I can't always read my own scribble) Embarassed

#13. June Alderson, Dora Smith, Marlene Smith with Jim Smith at the rear.

#14. ?, Marlene Newbury, June Alderson.

#15. June Alderson and ?

#16. Barbara Alderson, and Eve Malpass (in front) Mona Burdett and June Alderson (behind), taken at the Old flour Mill near the swimming hole, several miles away in the hills.

#17. Mona Burdett.

#18. Tania Pettit, Alan Hodson and June Alderson.

#19. ? and June Alderson.

#20. Eve Malpass, Mona Burdett and ? (I dunno who she is, but we'd love a copy of the photo she took)Very Happy

#21. Eric Davies and June Alderson at the Davies family's new home.

#22. June Alderson.

#23. Dora Smith.

#24. Marlene Smith with her mother Dora, and June Alderson

Last edited by Spike on Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:18 am; edited 11 times in total
wynn7755

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks Spike sounds good to me keep up the good work.
CatherineManning

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Smithfield photos Reply with quote

Thanks Spike and wynn7755,

Those are wonderful photos. It's really great to be able to see what the Smithfield hostel looked like. I already posted about the research I'm doing on one of your other threads. We've set up a Flickr group that includes a couple of pictures of Smithfield kindly shared with us: http://www.flickr.com/groups/migranthostels/pool/with/5423707629/#photo_5423707629

We're also trying to find more people who went through Smithfield. We're having an event during the 'About Time' history festival to spread the word: http://abouttime.sa.gov.au/content/salisbury-and-smithfield-hostel-stories

If you know anyone who would be interested, or you'd like to come yourselves, we'd love to see you there.

Catherine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Other Hostels: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: