Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phil and Dodge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Phil and Dodge Reply with quote

Hi

Lately I've been wondering what happened to two lads I knew from the Hostel back in 1965. They were brothers, from down south, probably London. They were known as Phil and Dodge (Derek) Gherken, or Gherkin. They formed a Rock Group - don't know the name - but by accounts I've had from Jack Campbell, and Steve Cranley ( we knew Steve as Steve Philips) they were very good. Did well around the clubs in Sydney and that. Had quite a following it sems. They did a few appearances on the Billy Thorp and the Astecs show; so they must have been up there somewhere.
Anyone remember them? If you do, and know what happened to them, I'd love to hear from you.
There's a nice little group of us that were on Cabramatta Hostel in '64 and '65 that keep in touch: Jack Campbell, Bob Prince, Steve Cranley and me; hoping to add Phil and Dodge. Without the Hostels Forum it just wouldn't have happened, shows you what a good thing it is.

That's about it.

All the best

Ken Lockett
rabs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hs i ken and everbody my name is bobby blair i lived on the hostel in the early sixties with my five brothers and four sisters i knew derek and phil they formed a band called eastenders with a scots lad named danny taylor moved to grafton and lost contact with them but to this day still great mates with a hostel lad called dave whealan im sure people will remember him and his brother pete lots of memories from those days Very Happy
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rabs

Good to hear from you. I knew a Scots lad on the Hostel called Danny, I'm not exactly sure his surname was Taylor, but I think it might have been. He had black hair, always well dressed, very Mod etc. He was well into music, like most of us at the time. Could it be Phil and Derek's mate?
We left the Hostel, and Aus in November, 1965. Where you on the Hostel '64 - '65? If you were we probably knew the same people.

All the best.

Ken
rabs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ken yes i lived on the hostel at the same time as you and danny taylor danny was related to the molloys who also lived on the hostel other people i knew were the parkers and devenports and others whose names escape me regardr rabs Very Happy
Katherine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Just me Katherine you live in UK. I live in Noosa Qld now and just had some friends from Bolton staying with me who were pretty taken up with this web site. Asking me why migrants went back to England and I know there were many for varied reasons. I can remember at Cabramatta the lady who I think was a Scot did a moonlight flit having taken the Commonwealth Bank takings at the Hostel Post Office needed to get home. I think as kids and with the beatles etc etc we were having a great time however many did not. I was just wondering why you ended up in UK did your parents take you back home? I am not an australian still have a UK passport and permanent resident, PS how is the writing going? Cheers K
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katherine

Yes, this is a really good website. Like I said on previous posts, there's a nice little group of us who keep in touch. We're all quite nostalgic when we look back at our time on the Hostel, they were wonderful days, though we didn't always think so then.
To answer your question. By parents took me and my sister back to the UK. We did our two years, etc. Personally, I didn't want to go back but I was only sisteen at the time, just a bit too young to stay in Sydney by myself.
Did you go to Beatle Village? If you did we probably bumped into each other. By the way, the writing's coming on fine, well, I've got to say that, haven't I!
All the best

Ken
Katherine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I sure did go to Beatle Village every Saturday night and The Easy Beats were the Band. I lived at Burwood Hostel after we left Cabramatta and had a lot of friends at Heathcote and East Hills and often watched the Easy Beats practice at Snowy the drummers Hut. Thre were another couple of places we started to go to one was The Bowl and the other The Union Jack Club. Cheers K
debz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: phil and dodge Reply with quote

hello ken my husband is phil and his brothers dodge derek i asked him if he remembered you and he said he remembered u well he still has an album cover where you wrote ken is great lol deb and phil
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Debz

What a wonderful suprise to get you post. I was only saying quite recently to a mutual friend of ours from the Hostel that I remember going fishing with Phil and Dodge, and their father, on Saturday morning's. We used to go somewhere near Botony Bay, not far from an Aborininal camp called La Perouse? something like that. I've often thought of them over the years.
Please let me know how they're doing; it would be good to be in touch again.

Best regards to yourself, and of course Phil and Dodge, and all you family.

Ken Lockett
Eastender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Phil & Dodge Reply with quote

Hi ken,
Just had a call from Phil and Debbie about this forum, I think I remember you, did you once get very sick at the time you were at the hostel?
If not, then I have you mixed up with someone else.
Just briefly, the band disbanded eventually after becoming very popular,
do you remember our bassist Pat Kennedy? Ted Tyra was the other member, Ted passed away a few years back unfortunately.
Phil and i were involved in bands after the Eastenders, forming a band with Steve Underwood and his brother, (Steve and big Ed used to play their harmonicas in the laundry huts on the hostel).
I remember Steve and Jack, as well as Cad and a few others, as well as Beatle Village, the Union Jack Club, Beethovens and Rhubarbs, the worst part was getting bashed, walking back to Central Station Sydney, just because we dressed differently and had long hair! Laughing
Hope this finds you well, regards Derek, (Dodge).
debz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ken this is Phil it was good to hear from u its brought back some some great memories I still hear from pat Kennedy and Steve Underwood and I would love to have a yarn with Danny Taylor and Steve Philips l live near Grafton nsw about thirty k/s out of town anyway I'm so pleased to make contact with an old mate take care ken will keep in touch phil
Ken Lockett

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil and Dodge, and Debz,

Great to hear from you. Good site this, init. Yes, I remember Pat Kennedy very well, have exchanged emails wth Steve Underwood a couple of times, he works as an Artist, Painter?
So yes; we all seem to be going ok at the monent. I'm in touch quite regularly with Jack Campbell, Jack lives in Fairfield, retired from work earlier on this year but is doing alright. Also in touch with Steve Phillips. Steve lives in Bray, Ireland, really nice fellow, I went over to see him not so long ago, again he's doing fine.
I'm hoping to come over to Sydney next year, Jack said we can stay with him so we're really looking forward to that, the wife and me that is.
Do you lads remember us going fishing with your father, he used to take us in his car? Don't think we ever caught anything, though. Do you remember my girlfriend, Kathy Kirwan? I've beem trying to make contact with her for what seems like ages, need her agreement for me to writing her as a character in a story I'm working on. Kathy and me used to go to Beatle Village most Friday nights; and most Friday nights I'd get a hiding walking through Hyde Park on the way back to Town Hall Station; Happy days? Look, got to go now, but really great to be in touch.

Talk soon

Ken Lockett
Liverpool, England
Eastender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear back from you Ken, sorry I have no idea where Kathy could be.
I have lived on the Central Coast, ( about an hour North of Sydney suburbs), since 1988.
I am retired now, same as Jack Campbell, I have two daughters from my first marriage and six grandchildren.
My wife Lorraine and I have been married for 24 years, She has a daughter, she is married and has a stepson.
Lorraine and I we met at the cambridge tavern Fairfield, I won the talent quest and we shared the prize of a bottle of plonk, (wine).
That was back in my motorcycle days, I had a Triumph Bonnieville or two over the years, wish I had one now!
Good to know that Steve Phillips is going well, plus Jack.
Speaking of Jack Campbell, I always remember him getting off the train and collecting tickets from unsuspecting travellers, if you remember, he always wore his black jacket and waiscoat.
They thought he worked for the railways!
That's it for now, Derek.
chickalow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,
My name is Charlie (Chicka) Low and I played in a Band in the Cabramatta area many years ago. You may remember me as you and your brother Derek swapped 2 Fender guitars for 2 Harmony Semi Acoustics with me shortly before you appeared on Billy Thorpe's TV show. I had Red Hair wich has since turned Grey... lol Cheers mate - hope you're doing well.
grattan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabs wrote:
hs i ken and everbody my name is bobby blair i lived on the hostel in the early sixties with my five brothers and four sisters i knew derek and phil they formed a band called eastenders with a scots lad named danny taylor moved to grafton and lost contact with them but to this day still great mates with a hostel lad called dave whealan im sure people will remember him and his brother pete lots of memories from those days Very Happy

hi bobby my name is grattan willey I was best mates with your brother eddie would love to catch up with him also hanged around with alex and john parker &Sammy davenport
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: