Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just memories but what a time we had

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Pearson Robert Pearson has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Just memories but what a time we had Reply with quote

Hi all do you remember the Rec Hall and skip who was the Recreation Officer Neville Pitt was his name and a bloody good bloke he used to live in Mosman and come to Cabramatta Hostel that is one hell of a hike to come to work in those days . I was just a young bloke then and also played for Cabramatta Athletics like my brothers David and Ronald and my dad used to call the Bingo at the old canteen not the newer one in 1961 , 62,63 does anyone remember those days or him. I can still see the basketball courts and the pitch down the back of the hostel looking over the maxwell coffee factory and Cabramatta creek, remember the smell of coffee coming wifting up our noses on a windy sort of day and the floods of 1963 all this reminiscing anyway if you can remember those things your all still alive and write a message photos will be coming soon Bob Pearson
Bob Prince

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob i was on the hostel from 61-64 in 13abcd cant recall your name but im not the greatest with names but remember the REC and the basketball court and the dropdown to the football pitch ,being out there under the floodlights or in the washrooms chatting the evenings away one of my memoires in a few of us pairing off and hitching to the beach on a sunday ,so many memories and what a time we had .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: The Beach on Sundays Reply with quote

Memories of us going down to cabramatta station on Sunday morning about 7 or 8 am and getting the red rattler on the other side of the station the one heading to Liverpool to catch the train which went back to regents park then switched to go onto the Bankstown line to Sydenham then it switched again and went to Cronulla the train was a gravy train of fun and beutiful girls getting on along the line at every station. We got off at Woolaware the station before Cronulla so we could walk all through the streets and go to Wanda instead of cronulla if you wanted a pie at the cronulla pie shop you would go all the way to the End that was only a one way train you had to go back the normal way to Redfern and get the transfer to Liverpool stopping at Cabramatta and getting a milk shake if you had cash left over at the I think the rose Milk bar on the corner of Cabramatta road and John st.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: My name then Reply with quote

I used to be called Robert, Rob, Robbie, Rab by my dad and shit head by my brother dave, or the gang of blokes gave me the name of Prior do not know why but I was proud of that one because it was unusual and I was part of something I used to be mates with the Cathcarts and the Stewarts plus a few others of the athletics team.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,
I used to wash the tops for the soccer team. and I used to score for the cricket team. My kids were in the teams Anthony and Allan Hobbs and Murray played cricket too. We knew Neville Pitt very well, he was a very good friend of ours and we spent many happy times at his place from 1963 when we met him untill 1973 when we returned to NZ after 18 and a half years in Commonwealth Hostels .Sadly Neville died in August 1977,he was only 54years old.He and his Dad lived in Clontarf .His father at one time had a shop in Mosman.
Neville was also the youth leader at Dundas at that time.Later he was in charge of all Youth Activities. He was a lovely guy for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Neville Pitt Reply with quote

I went to Mosman that is just over the spit bridge isn't it and stayed with him and his dad for a week during a school holiday as he had holidays as well as well Neville took a group of us kids to Galston Gorge where he showed us how to catch yabbies and cook them as a young bloke eating new stuff like that was not to my taste as you know what kids ate we had about 25 to 30 of them caught that day for nothing now you $20 for them each and now I like them, Expensive taste now that I am a grown up bloody stupid. Neville played cricket for NSW I do not know if he played for Australia. We lost touch with Neville when we moved out of the Hostel I am sorry for that as he would have been a really good friend as he was a really good man. He was a gentle man some told stories about the way he used to take boys on trips for no good reason but i can attest nothing ever happened to me and the friends I associated with He was in my mind and memories a really good man who liked his charges. Anyway good to hear from you and good remembering.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Re Neville Pitt Reply with quote

Sorry every one Skip or Neville Pitt was living in Seaforth and not Mosman I am sorry for my brain not conecting Bob P
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right Robert it was Seaforth and it was later renamed Clontarf.and it was just over the Spit Bridge to the right and into Linkmead Avenue.
I agree with you Neville was a great guy and would never have been involved in anything untoward.
I must share with you my yabby story.Neville came to our place at Dundas Hostel and gave me two yabbies and they were alive. He said they were lovely to eat. When Tony came home I couldn't bear to see them killed so we took them down to fresh water and let them go. I hope they survived where we put them.Nev. found out much later and I was in the doghouse for five minutes. Sad Smile Sad
We had so many happy times and when I came back to Australia in 1975 for a holiday I stayed with Pop and Nev for a week and for another five days at the end of the holiday and stayed with Rathfords and some dogworld friends in the other part.
I was treated like royalty at Pitts and would always think very highly of Nev. His principles were very high.And wasn't his father a wonderful cook.
yum yum !!!!!!!!!
We kept in touch with him until his death in 1977.
Thankyou for sharing your memories . Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Skipper Reply with quote

I kick myself now that I did not repay them both Nev and dad for the hospitality like most kids growing up then moving on to other friends and then family of your own you forget about the ones who made you what made you the person you are today and their values, anyway they are a part of you. thanks for the information I informed my mum about this web site and yourself and she remembers you she is 82 and still remebers all the canteen and the managers and the fun she had with the folks there. Today I think she lives in the past abit but she has really fond memeories of the place we lived in for 5 short years and she worked 10 - 20 years after we left and the rebuild when the boat people from asia arrived. today we see the same thing all over again and we all ask why are they getting more than we got but then we are not in the same time as them and the people who rule the government agencies are not too bright and are bowing to the do gooders interests maybe I am reflecting my jealousies never the less we had a good time as kids in that time Bob P
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert it is it possible for you to PM your mother's phone number to me.I tried a number over the weekend but alas it was the wrong one .I would love to say hello to her.
Katherine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Hostel Managers Reply with quote

Hi Phyl, My name is Katherine I lived at 3 Hostels Mayfield Cabramatta and Broughton/Burwood all in NSW. I gather you know a lot of the managers. I was wondering if your remember Mr Fletcher at Cabramatta he had a daughter Elaine and son John also a Mr Swillins not sure of the spelling for his name he was Manager at Burwood he had a European accent. Cheers and have a great Xmas.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katherine,
Yes I knew lots of managers because my late husband was one. I remember Stan Svilans very well in fact think I have a photo somewhere.
Mr. Fletcher was in Canberra last time I heard of him but that was many years ago in `1974.
Don't know where Stan is either.

Have a great Christmas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: