Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bumped into old Hostelites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brenty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:40 am    Post subject: Bumped into old Hostelites Reply with quote

Hi again all. ....... was contacted by Norman Faint (Cabramatta 1954 -1957) out of the blue. He's living in Darwin, is married to an Indonesian lass and spends 50% of his time in Indonesia where he has a place. Contact me and I'll give him your contact detailS. Also ran into Tony Bates, Eddie Windsor and John Bradshaw recently. Just a mention.... managed to procure a large print of the Strathnaver off Fairfield Museum. Had it framed ($290) OUCH. But... it looks magnificent in my bar. It's about 1 metre wide and 1.3 metres high. I came to Aust on the Strathaird but the Strathnaver is a sister ship. The photo shows her docking in Perth and is a magnificent close up portrait.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick ,you would have been at Cabramatta when my late husband ,Tony Hobbs , was one of the Managers .The name Norman Faint seems familiar.My kids were only little then but a lot of kids came to our house to watch TV.
Brenty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norman Faint was a close friend of mine in 1954. His dad ended up managing a Commonwealth Hostel somewhere. Just a mention.... The SS Strathaird was broken up in the early 60's and sold as scrap to Hong Kong. She was melted down and is now part of the steelwork in the Hong Kong hi-rise buildings. Sad story as I have great childhood memories of her. Last year took a trip on the SSJewel P & O cruise ship. Big shock when I saw a movie whilst on board featuring......ME. It was a promo I did for P & O many years ago about coming to Australia as a kid and life on the hostel. Nearly as big a shock as when on this same cruise I video'd 2 objects that flew past the ship as we left Noumea. It went viral on the Internet and even the USA air force who ended up with the film could not explain what they were. The film is on the Net under "UFO Noumea.". Scary.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will take a look at this video ASAP- I am a UFO investigator.
Brenty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply to UFO investigator Reply with quote

Hope you can make anything out of it. Nobody else can. We are not claiming anything other than we took the video from the balcony of our cruise ship. The objects came over the top of the ship and went down to the water a fair way from us. Then they travelled into a 2 metre sea and a strong wind without causing any water disturbance or splash. They were about 2 stories hish and on a big screen they are spinning. The US investigators stated they had "seen them before". Channel 7 sent the footage to the USA where the military checked it out.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year was this? I can't find it, do you have a direct link?
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: U.F.O. Reply with quote

owya goin 'cobber', a name you frequently use, a name I had forgotten since Cabramatta days. I now wonder if you remember any of the Northern Territory 'slang' I used when we met in Bali and then again when you visited 'up north'. Just mentioning.....to anybody reading, I hated schooling in Oz mainly because I was 2nd year high in England and had to repeat 1st year high at Fairfield, and then there was the daily donybrook with the Aussie boys against the Pommie 'so and so's' anyhow, Nick introduced me to a new found way of enjoying school...hahaha, we wagged on and off for near on 6 months, swimming at Georges River Carramar, Liverpool, Casula or the nearby Cabramatta Creek or billabong. One such day 4 of us from the Hostel at the billabong also trying a puff on a ciggy, up jumped an Ozzie on horse back laughing his head off calling us silly pommie 'so and so's' "yer mums are gunna know" thinking he meant because of the smell of tobacco hahaha "no, yer sun burnt bums", the ciggy was in fact puffed to burn the leaches off.
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Leaches Reply with quote

'Cobber' relates to Nick Brent, the other two chaps at the billabong wagging school were Ralph Gibbons and Tony Bates, not sure if Drewie Kirwan joined us at some time. After only a few months at Cabra. a family arrived from England they moved into a 'hut' near the rear of the 'kiosk'. I can not remember their name, but if perhaps one may be reading these forums, the family were from the same Estate as us, at Pound Gate, Alton, Hants. At the top of Pound Gate, turning left and a few doors down from the shops.
1954, Cabramatta Hostel from England aboard S.S.Strathaird, followed by Matraville, Marybrinong, Broadmeadows, Williamstown, Heathcote Road and Bunnerong (various moves as dad was later in '54 engaged as a Hostel Manager.
Norm Faint

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Hut Number Reply with quote

Hi Nick Brent, as you will remember, my youngest sister (Alison) was born whilst at Cabramatta. she recently went over to Bali to meet up with Ida. Before she left she had me photo copy her 'papers', to my surprise I found we were in Hut 95, which no doubt you can check on your map. when we first arrived we went into the one end of the hut with steps to the front door, after mum came home from hospital we moved to the other end of the hut which had no steps. Recently received your photos showing your mansion, karoke room, bar, pool, manicured lawns and gardens and pigeon lofts, a far far cry from the Hostel days, good onya cobber you gotta be proud of your achievements.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: