Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm Frank from St Mary Cray, Kent. Berkeley Hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Berkeley Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dukey1966

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: I'm Frank from St Mary Cray, Kent. Berkeley Hostel Reply with quote

We were sponsored by AIS Port Kembla and arrived at Berkeley Hostel in June, 1966 after having sailed from Southampton on the Australis. I was only 15 and Everything was dry and dusty and we were told that there had been a long drought. Our arrival fixed that! It poured for the next 2 weeks turning the dirt paths into a quagmire. We were housed in a Nissen hut (2 families per hut) with a plywood partition dividing the 2 halves. Could hear every word from next door. Dad never started at AIS as he got the hump when he was refused a boiled egg at breakfast as these were reserved for night shift personnel only. We hopped on a train to Sydney finding accommodation and jobs within a week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Berkeley Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: