Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hostel in Footscray

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: hostel in Footscray Reply with quote

Hi I am here in Sydney visiting my daughter who has recently become a resident. It got me thinking about my first visit to Australia in 1952. We arrived on the Largs Bay as 10 pound poms. My mum was very homesick so we only stayed four years. Dad loved it and wanted to settle here. We were in a hostel in Footscray which I think was in Melborne. Would love to hear from anyone who settled here at the time. My parents were Cathy and Billy Thompson from Byker in the North East of England.
JohnW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Research Reply with quote

Hi
Welcome to Sydney, I hope your research gets some results.
As a fellow 10 pound Pom from Derby, I'm new on this site also, so who knows who we might find.
Good luck.
David worboys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Footscray, Victoria Reply with quote

Hi Maggie, This is David Worboys/Draper.
Your hostel may have been Brooklyn just up the road from Footscray which is indeed a suburb of Melbourne and is located(or was) almost on the Altona Road and Geelong Road intersection. I spent some time there with my family (Iwas about 16/17) about 1955/56, before moving to Broadmeadows with my family, The hostel was a fairly shabby affair, some of the huts housed more than one family and to accomodate them were split down the middle, end to end, with a single sheet of masonite(Burnieboard)(it seemed that way anyway) as the divider. The whole place had once been a wool store and the old wool sheds were first used to house migrants.The story goes that they burned them out in protest. When I was there the burned out shells of the sheds were still standing. The hostel accomodated a large Nissen hut which was a mixed business (groceries, cigs, pop etc) and the proprietor was Joe Kinda. Hope this helps, Regards, David.
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember KINDA DISCOUNT LIQUOR many years later on Miller's Road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: