Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Topics of interest.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Winterford

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Topics of interest. Reply with quote

We left Tilbury Docks on The RMS Otranto arriving in Sydney via Gibralter, Naples, Aden, Colombo and then on to Australia. Being introduced to a four family Nissan hut, East Hills Hostel. I found the whole situation exciting and the start of a big adventure. But my parents were a little worried about the responsibility of the whole situation. The school I went to was Hammondville and I also remember coming home, with the flooding of Williams Creek. Wondering if we could cross the Bridge at Harris Creek which we did at a slow 5mph. With water almost running through the door seal. The hostel had flooded two rows of huts and was lapping at the third, which left me wondering how high it would rise. Rolling Eyes Even as a 9 year old I recall the terrible meals we had to eat. Peas like bullets, Fried egg with grease fat solidified on it, stewed cold urn tea, Dried out mashed potato... like ice cream serves. We ate in a canteen very similar to a mess hall. But it was all new to me with the bush on one side... Fishing and swimming on the other. It was indeed a kid's paradise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: