Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bunnerong Hostel 1960/1961

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bunnerong Hostel:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Bunnerong Hostel 1960/1961 Reply with quote

Hi there we arrived from Uk March/April 1960 on the Fairsky.I attended Matraville School that year and then to South Sydney Boys High aged 11/13.
Things got sticky work wise for my Father George and Mother Kathleen.Late 1961 we jumped,without completing the compulsory 2 years...to New Zealand.I still live in NZ with my wife and family of 2 sons and 4 Grandchildren.This was a very memorable time I loved the place especially Maroubra Beach and fishing near the old power station close to the cemetery at Botany Bay. I often wonder what became of the Randall family that joined us there and were next door neighbors in Gravesend where we came from?
Any body is welcome to contact to me to reminisce,Thanks Bob.

Last edited by Robert (Bob) Taylor on Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Katherine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Welcome to web site Len has done a fantastic job. I think we all love the memories of how it was for us kids as new migrants to Australia. Cheers and Happy New Year
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Your welcome posting today Reply with quote

Thanks Katherine,I am currently get my memory together to post a list of things that I can recall from those times......50 years hence!
Cheers Bob.
Katherine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can rememeber visiting Bunnerong Hostel 1961 as my parents had friends living there, it was a very long journey from Cabramatta Hostel.
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Visiting other Hostels, Reply with quote

Thats rather strange! because we did the same,my parents befriended a couple on the Fairsky trip over. We visited them, at Cabramatta I think we got a train from Sydney Central to Blacktown,not sure how we got from there probably walked as thats the way it was then!.They were possibly Irish cant remember the surname,but the ladys name was Kitty and their daughter possibly late teens/early twenties was I think named Colleen?Husbands name escapes me but I do remember the parents as being a little old to be relocating...possibly mid late 50s at the time, but were lovelly and friendly and smiley people.
The endearing memory was of going to their canteen for a meal and I am sure we had roasted Rabbit, a first and last time I experienced it.Though my memory suggests it wasnt half bad to eat once you got over your prejudice.
Katherine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How strange is that, the family we visited at your hostel were Irish and had couple of young kids we also ate in your dining room can not remember what we had to eat. I did ask my Mum about this family and she said that they had lived at Cabramatta and then transfered to Bunnerong..Mum can not remember their name but I think the Mum was called Aileen. Cheers
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Bunnerong Hostel Reply with quote

Thanks for that, lot of coincidence there!
I can well understand not remembering the food...mostly it was very forgettable...just like the memory conveniently blanks out bad experience in some cases.
Currently I am on annual leave, and intend as stated earlier to put together some thoughts of the times, some of it around the badly prepared food.
Cheers,Bob.
Clarebear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just adding a reply here as Bob was apparently on the same ship as me which is quite a coincidence. I've sent you a PM reply Bob.

Interesting to see you ended up in NZ.
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarebear wrote:
Just adding a reply here as Bob was apparently on the same ship as me which is quite a coincidence. I've sent you a PM reply Bob.

Interesting to see you ended up in NZ.

Did you get PM? Interesting to hear your experiences, always keen to hear more.
Clarebear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob. Not meaning to ignore you but real life got in the way. My recollections of the boat trip and our time in the hostel are quite hazy as I was a lot younger than you. My parents photo collection certainly help. There is one of their fancy dress party on board ship. Parents are dressed as convicts! There was also a fancy dress party for the youngsters. I remember being dressed in red and green crepe paper to resemble a Christmas Cracker!

I was quite scared of the ships swimming pool because of the deep water and the older kids splashing around. My baby front tooth fell out during the journey and a nice man gave me one shilling for it! Much better than the threepence I normally received!

I hope you will post more memories too Bob.
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that same Fancy Dress event for the kids I remember!
More so because I have a photo from parents album of me dressed in my mothers swimming costume some high heel shoes ...improvisation as you had to. with my hair all swished and a tiara of sorts and brandished across with a sash stating Miss England!!!!?
At 11 years of age and before all the political bs that goes on today how was I to realize at the time how much I would shudder every time I happen to see that snap now!
Clarebear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord Bob! How embarressing - I imagine you keep that photo well hidden! We were such innocents back then. I'm sending you a PM. Best wishes.
Clare
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not really! I am thinking I might post it here.
Given the degree of anonymity this wonderful site affords,and given 50 odd years on I don't look even Tad like I did at 11years old.I will have to dig it out scan it a long with some slides of Bunnerong Hostel taken when I went back in 1970. I will flick them on to Len and have him morph them very kindly to this site......just got to get around to it! Arrow
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:15 am    Post subject: Bunnerong Hostel 60/61 Reply with quote

Have forwarded pictures of the fancy dress on board Fairsky 1960 plus pictures of Bunnerong Hostel. Sent about a month ago, but no publication so far?
Have since emailed Len but no reply as to whether he has received......or is going to put them up here?
Not sure what is wrong .....maybe the the more seasoned members here may be able to offer comment or help?
Meanwhile hope everybody has a great Easter and enjoys the occasion and the over indulgence of choc eggs and hot cross buns,
Cheers, Bob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bunnerong Hostel: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: