Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bunnerong Hostel ..60/61
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bunnerong Hostel:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Bunnerong Hostel ..60/61 Reply with quote

As I noted on signing in, a few memories of our stay.
Quite interesting seeing the number of posts from around the globe..especially UK. It was sad in the days of our stay how so many people took an instant stance..sometimes on arrival,that they were going back.Unfortunately severely enhanced by the earlier arrivals grizzling in groups constantly.So many lived for the day they could return, only to realise it wasn't that bad and returned to Australia to stay.
Some people stayed for years, 9 in one case before moving out of the Hostels.Those that made a quick exit generally fared better and settled in, to stay and enjoy their new lives.
One of the indelible memories was the prepared food. lots of the families at Bunnerong re hashed the food in their rooms with electric frying pans and the like and it was hard walking around smelling the aromas coming under the doors. We also kept our sanity by cooking special meals and cakes etc.
The crib bags mentioned were also dissapointing, to get over that we would often take the salad option meals and sliced bread back to our units to rehash in to a more palatable packed lunch.
The less than average food did me one favor, loosing interest in food turned me from a Tubby boy in to a slim young man,every cloud has a silver lining.
Other random memories popping up are: seeing huge Blue tongue lizards around the sandy outside, Red back spiders, Crazy Asian Student taxi drivers perilously racing through the streets coming home from outings to Sydney City.Trying out my first Chinese meal in Sydney downtown.Going to a Cinerama theatre. The movie was all about the South Pacific area.
Also mentioned the beaches especially Maroubra and the thumbing lifts to and from at the age of 11/13, our parents freaked then ....imagine the same scenario today. Do recall vividly there were pervs that would try and give us lifts, but we all got to know them and refused there lifts. I noticed some one else mentioned the Firework crackers, which were as cheap as chips compared with England at the time.We had huge fun blowing up things,throwing them at other and sometimes starting grass fires. The latter also brings to mind the Matraville Fire brigade and their vintage firetruck,the firefighters were decked out in thick navy ..hot as hell clothing capped off with Brass polished heavy helmets.
Someone might be able to reconcile my last thoughts for today? I think the cost per week for Tariff...rent, was 9 pounds (18 dollars ) for us 2 adults and one child.This included a clean linen, food, rooms..2 ,and toilet roll allowance. Not sure that included electricity.
I do know that wages werent great maybe 12/15 pounds per week so didn't leave much for savings meant both parents had to work and do overtime when possible!
Cheers, Bob.
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Bunnerong Hostel ....60/61 Reply with quote

Have been eagerly watching Bunnerong Hostel posts since my January notes.
There doesn't seem to be any responses as yet, in fact compared to the various other Hostel responses this Hostel over time hasn't seen much activity / feedback.
Len and Phyl, hi to you and the other prolific correspondents, can you comment and fill me in why this might be so?
I must congratulate everybody that has submitted over time, you have all helped to create a unique, nostalgic website!
If I may say, I would encourage everybody that reads these postings to rack their brains and memories and put it in to words here.
One other suggestion please.... I know most people have privacy and address issues but if you can give your names and domicile area it would help to encourage more identification and hence more possibility of an ongoing response?
Cheers...here's hoping to hear more.
BOB.
Len

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob, great posts and thank you for contributing.
Unfortunately we don�t have many members here yet that had stayed at Bunnerong hostel and it may take a little time for them to find us, and our posts. The best way to attracted new members who had stayed at these migrant hostels is to simply post here, here in the forums because these forums are regularly crawled by Google bots etc and the content within gets indexed. Once indexed by Google etc, anyone doing a search for migrant hostels, hostels like Bunnerong hostel etc etc will hopefully be pointed here as one of their options.

A good tip to everyone.
While posting in the forums it�s always a good idea (from time to time) to actually re-mention the hostel you�re talking about because by doing so you�ll be adding more key words, key words that others will be searching for.
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Len, Bunnerong Hostel was by standards quite a huge complex,10 blocks ..double sided and from memory about 150/200 metres in depth.It had two canteens both very busy.
There must have been thousands and thousands of people that went through over its life span.
My nagging thought is where are they? My suspicion is that the general age of good proportion of the people would have them in the non computer savvy group?
But then that doesn't quite stack up! As the Altona and Cabramatta past population who are similar in demographic are prolific in there postings......maybe there is no rhyme nor reason?
Cheers Bob.
Phyl Phyl has been starred
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Bob I'm in that high age group and was a young adult in hostels from age 21yrs to age 39 yrs. (1954 to 1973) and I love my computer. Laughing Laughing
I think Len is right , there hasn't been many Bunnerong posts , but hopefully peple will find this wonderful site , you did !!!!! Smile So stay with it.
Katherine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Hostels Reply with quote

Hi Bob, I still have life long friends that I was on the Hostel with or made friends with them via Beatle Village Sydney when so many of us young Brits lived on Migrant Hostels in the 60's. I am the only one of my Hostel friends that is a member of this web site and I am so grateful to Len for creating the site. I have great memories of my time the Hostel however I think our parents were very brave to emmigrate to Oz. I watched a program on ABC has been on before called 10 pound POMS last week I was quite surprised when they showed the Hostels and said loads of people just sat around moaning about everything and waiting for the 2 years to pass so they could go HOME, many returned to OZ. I do not remember seeing this at all. When I finished school end of 1964 I got a job and the Hostel Manger gave me a form for my employer to fill out stating my wages my take home pay was 5 pounds 2shillings and 6 pence and I had to pay a tariff of 4 pounds plus 15 shillings for weekly ticket to city, hence my parents were still looking after me. When my boss found out he was so shocked and phoned the Manager to say he had made a mistake on the form and lowered the take home figure lucky me. Cheers Katherine
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phyl, I wondered how long it would be before I would have the pleasure of hearing from you.I have read a good deal of your posts and am impressed with your earlier career with your late husband. You must have been very resilient to move as much as you did?
No offence intended re the savvy comment,it was just a musing brought about the fact that just about every young person today can make a computer stand on it's head,whereas the older people ....generally speaking...and obviously there are exceptions...do tend struggle and shy away.
Phyl do you remember the tariff structures? in my earlier posts I did quote what I recall as 11/ 13 in year old in 1960/61 what I think my parents paid per week.But if you can remember and elaborate it would be interesting..say as compared to the cost of living and the buying power of the dollar today.
Question
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Katherine, that's a bit freaky you just posting re the tariff I was just composing a reply to Phyl re the very same subject.
What you say rings right with my memory. In fact your wages were similar for the time.I started my first full time job in NZ in early 1965. I joined the Bank of New South Wales...must have been an Aussie connection from 60/61 hanging around there somewhere,as a Junior my annual salary was �500 Per annum. Which gave about take home of �7/8 per week. In those times you could get 8 gallons of petrol for �1. And a loaf of bread and a pint of milk were both about six pence each.One my other price comparison memorys was a half dozen of pints of beer was also �1. Those were the days!!
Thanks cheers BOB.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
Trust me no offence was taken. Smile
I think when we were first in hostels Tony's salary was about sixteen pounds a fortnight We ,of course had to pay tariff. We had the phone also. My mother and brother stayed with us for 6 months from NZ and we had to pay tariff for them also. I remember in the early years a manager was ,I guess, poorly paid .Only Tony worked for the company.
I didn't. So apart from his salary I am unable to fill you in.Folk like Olwyn in the Altona Forum may remember the tariff
When we were transfered around the company paid for our travel and shifting.As most of the furniture belonged to the company there was not a great deal to shift but it was hard being transferred around with 3 young children ,a dog and a cat.Later they banned dogs and cats,our dog being the last legal one in the company. But we did get another dog later and she and her son returned to NZ with us. Some of the other managers had dogs too and we were not supposed too.Sad.
I am still in touch with some in CHL and last year my dearest friends a manager and his wife both died. I miss them especially Muriel. cry
Anyway Bob enjoying your posts
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Phyl,so sorry to hear about your friends passing.We have just been to Auckland this weekend to see off a very close friend she was only 61 and succumbed to cancer at Waitangi Day. I also lost my Mum and Dad last year at 89 and 94 respectively. They had fond memories of Australia and would quite often go over for a few weeks. They also talked about Hostel days quite often, even though they were tough times they enjoyed the new life and the better weather than Blighty as they referred to it. My wife and I usually go to Australia most years to Burleigh Heads, just has a feeling about it so carefree and relaxing...you really feel you are on holiday, if you know what I mean? Cool
Cheers, BOB.
Respected Contributor:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I too send my sympathy to you for the loss of your parents and also the loss of your friend. These things are always tough aren't they One of my sons died of cancer 13 years ago aged 42yrs, so I know what a terrible thing cancer is . Your parents are your best friends ,both mine have gone now Dad in 1955 and Mum in 1975 two years after returning to NZ.
clarkie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Another happy one who stayed Reply with quote

just found the site for the first time so thought I'd post a message. My name is David Clark and I currently live in Victor Harbor, SA.
Now nearly 65 I was 17 when I arrived at Bunnerong in July 1965 with mum, dad, and three brothers. We lived in the block directly in front of the main gates entrance.I knocked around with Nick Penn who lived opposite us.Nick now lives in Elizabeth, SA and has done since 1966. I worked in Harris Street, Ultimo so would catch my bus outside the deli opposite the Hostel.
I was very good friends with an Irish guy Steven Philips whose father was one of the Hostel Managers.Unfortunately I lost touch with him when he went back to the UK in 1967.My brother Frank and I also made friends with 2 brothers from Newcastle. I don't remember their actual names but were referred to as Winkie and Blinkie[no joke]Our favourite haunts were Beatle Village and the Oxford Hotel where we met people from all the Hostels particularly Cabra and East Hills and also many young guys who had migrated on the Big Brother Movement.
Beatle Village was quite a dangerous place back then as most of the young had long hair and gangs of Ialian lads would take great delight in giving one a trim. Later the Union Jack Club opened so we spent most of our Sat.-Sun nights there.Think that was over by Darling Harbour.
I remember we did have some dance nights on the Hostel with a DJ and LPs and 45s.
My two younger brothers, John who was 12 and Billy who was 7 attended the local schools and would swim at the pool behind the Hostel.
Most of the teens went to Maroubra Beach if we fancied a swim.
One thing that stands out in my mind at the time was the thickness of the Situations Vacant part of the Saturday newspaper. Most was for tradespeople because of course Sydney was booming. We arrived on a Wednesday, went looking for work on the Thursday and dad, Frank and I started work the following Monday and mum had a job on the hostel.
Dad and mum have passed on now but they moved to SA in 1966 and stayed in the same house til their passing in 2006 and 2011. Interestingly enough they lived next door to a family from Manchester who moved in at the same time and the wife is still living there.
As has been mentioned it was difficult at first on the Hostel as there was a lot of negativity around and I at one stage said I was going back and had only been here 5 minutes. Thank God I didn't.
I look forward to reading more blogs from all. Best regards, Dave
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, thanks for message. The Beatles were yet to emerge in 60/61 and I was only 11/13 at that time so wasn't going to be allowed in to the City.Interesting to hear on the postings here how many from the various Hostels did attend the venues.
I did get to see the Beatles when they came to NZ and the frenzy amongst the teenagers at the time was incredible.
I note your comments re the negativity amongst the people on site. Yes it was sad as it almost fed on itself and consumed people to the extent that they sank into a spiral of depression and absolute longing to go home.
So many did and invariably ended up back in Australia again later.
We flew the coop to NZ where we settled in but I still regard Australia fondly and we are back and forth for business and holidays constantly. With the earthquakes here it almost drives you back, the big downside is the dollar conversion.
I too loved the beach at Maroubra and we were constantly up and down hitching rides. We especially loved the rock pool over the hill north from the main beach. I still miss the the weather and surf beaches and it's the first thing I love to do on arrival over there is to go do a few body shoots in the surf.
Cheers, BOB.
clarkie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: The Band Invasion 65-66 Reply with quote

Hi Bob great to read your post. I missed the Beatles but saw the Stones twice. They were accompanied by the Searchers on that particular tour. Also saw The Animals and PJ Proby at the old showgrounds.There were some good bands in Sydney then I remember the Missing Links played at Beatle Village as well as the Easy Beats and Jeff St John played at a venue on the North Shore. Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs played at Surf City but we didn't go anywhere near them probably would have been killed.
When did you leave Sydney Bob? I arrived in 1965 and left in 1967 and moved to SA. Got called up for National Service in 1968 the year I met my wife. She was a fellow migrant and came from Exeter with her family.I was from Dunfermline.Regards,Dave
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Bunnerong Hostel Reply with quote

Hi Dave, we flew by Qantas Electra to NZ in November 1961 my first time in a airplane. Having arrived in Aus in March 1960.
The main reason we took off is that a recession had struck and my father was out of work. We followed another 2 families from the Hostel who had gone ahead earlier and they painted a rosier picture in NZ at the time.
I think my parents would have settled in Aus if these factors hadn't set in.
What made you relocate to SA?
We drove via the Coast road from Melbourne to Adelaide and returned via the Murray river a few years ago, very memorable trip and being Christmas time stinking hot!
I missed the call up for military service here, a sigh off relief at the time, but a few of my cobbers went in and ended up enjoying it. With hindsight and later maturity I wish that I did do it....strange isn't it?
Cheers,Bob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bunnerong Hostel: All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: