Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cabramatta hostel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linda groome

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: cabramatta hostel Reply with quote

Hi
My name's Linda. I lived on Cabrammatta hostel late 1968 and 1969. I travelled on the Fairstair from England with my parents, sister Carol and brothers Terry, Andy, Des and Clive. I remember the first meal - sausages and mash. I wasn't impressed. My mother worked in the canteen and I used to take my brother Clive and two other little kids a boy and girl to the day care on the hostel before I went to school and then pick them up afterwards. I played netball with a group of girls; the Watson twins, Ann and Maureen Bates, Barbara Lyons, Bev Foote, Gerry Gleeson and so many more. And hung out at the Wreck. Skipp used to organise card nights and also Bingo nights when I made tea for the players. Crazy times.
marsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Hi Linda Reply with quote

Hi Linda,
It was so good to see a post from you on here - what a surprise!
How are you? Where do you live now? And Carol, how is Carol?
So many questions I know but just so good to see someone on here.
I have recently moved to Geelong (2.5 weeks ago), before that I was in Canberra for over 8 years and prior to that in Perth for twenty years!
I could go on but I don't want to bore you to death!!
hope you are well.
love to hear from you
Cheers
Maureen (Bates)
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marsy, welcome to the forum, it's nice to see another Geelong person here at last. Hope you are settling in OK. We moved here from Melbourne 13 years ago, and will never leave.
angela

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda, welcome, Bev has let me know that she has been in touch with you, have some photo,s of you and others have posted them on facebook.
Just been to NSW to see my family and caught up with Bev Nee Foote.
We are going to I hope try and organise a reunion will announce it later when we get it together. take care Angela Smile
tstothard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda I came out on the fairstar and lived at the hostels, I use to go to the day care on site as well we arrived in 1969 in July / August maybe it was me you took to school? I had my 4th birthday on the ship we came out from England, Hull I think we lived there for a few months I still have a couple of clear memories from then regards Tim
linda groome

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tstothard wrote:
Hi Linda I came out on the fairstar and lived at the hostels, I use to go to the day care on site as well we arrived in 1969 in July / August maybe it was me you took to school? I had my 4th birthday on the ship we came out from England, Hull I think we lived there for a few months I still have a couple of clear memories from then regards Tim

Hi Tim

I used to take two little children to day care, on site. Maybe it was you? Did you have a very cute little sister and a mother called Jo? I remember Jo and her partner had to be at work really early in the morning and came home very late in the afternoon. They worked hard to get off the hostel. How great if it is you.
Linda
Lordy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Cabramatta Hostel 1969/70 Reply with quote

Hi Linda - I remember you and your family I used to hang around with Carol- I remember the "twinnies" we used to hang out at the Rec centre, Gerry Neeson, Rosemary Clay, my family were there from May69 to Feb70 when we left to come to Whyalla but I came back for a while. The twins Christine and Angela didn't live on the hostel then and I remember your family getting a big place, I was bridesmaid for Pete & Lyn Ashby I also remember a few fellas, namely Mick Robson Robbie Hamilton & at one stage I was engaged to Steve Barker.
I notice that there was a reunion last year and a few names I remembered. I am going to be thinking now of all the different people and trying to remember a few more names now.
angela

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marie nice to see you have found this site there is also Sixties Migrants Cabra Hostel on facebook there you will see pics and may find peope you once new. Put a friend request up for the site if you are on FB. The reunion we had last year was a good night lots of stories told. If you are the Marie I,m thinking of there are some pics with you in them.

yours Angela Hodge (Watson Twin)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Cabramatta Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: