Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The SS / or MV Australis ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David worboys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: The SS / or MV Australis ? Reply with quote

Hi Len and Valgc, SS means steam ship and MV means Diesel or Motor Vessel. I believe that the Australis was once the MV Johannas Van Oldenbarneveldt which carried many Netherlanders to Australia prior to being purchased by Chandris in the 60's and renamed Australis, which means Greek Maiden. She made her maiden voyage to Australia in the mid 60's and I believe carried something like 1500 migrant passengers. Some of them slept on deck and on the journey the air conditioning broke down. She arrived in Port Melbourne eventually where I and other Customs Officers processed the dried out creatures she had been carrying, David Worboys/Draper
David worboys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: MV Lakonia Reply with quote

Sorry guys, re the Oldenbarneveldt, I seem to have got it wrong, she was the MV Lakonia, another Greek purchase but the maiden voyage to Australia by Australis was as I described it. David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: