Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Year 1951- Commonwealth hostel located pascoe vale road

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
middleton

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Year 1951- Commonwealth hostel located pascoe vale road Reply with quote

Hi- My name is Jack Randles I arrived at the British Migrant Hostel located Pascoe Vale Road, Pascoe Vale. Melbourne. With my wife Shelagh in 1951- The hostel was a former wool shed divided by Masonite partitions into rooms about 10 feet X ten feet open at the top. The hostel was said to be for British migrant married couples with no children. The toilets & showers were communal with meals provided in a partitioned of area of the shed called a canteen. There was a married couple to each room. Talk about primitive!! We stuck it for about 12 months then moved into a rented caravan located in a field just of Broadmeadows Road to the rear of Essendon airport, Marybinong brook ran through the field, if the hostel was primitive this was 100% worse, still we were on our own & masters of our own life. We stuck this for another twelve months then decided we had enough of Victoria's clime & departed for Perth, Western Australia, where we have remained since. I am now 92 years of age & Shelagh 89 years. People from those years: Peggy & Jim Carroll, Terry & ? exNottingham, Ken & Thelma Evans.
Bluebird

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Year 1951- Commonwealth hostel located pascoe vale road Reply with quote

Hi Jack
I loved reading your story and glad you and your wife decided to stay in Australia...it's such a wonderful place!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: