Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New book on Bradfield Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bradfield Park Hostel Forums:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MichaelH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: New book on Bradfield Park Reply with quote

The Ku-ring-gai Historical Society has just published (April 2012) a book on Bradfield Park. It is called Almost Like Home: Living in Bradfield Park, and is written by Michael Hogan. There are sections on the British Migrant Hostel, the Refugee Hostel that preceded it, and the Housing Commission Settlement, as well as on the community facilities that served the whole camp during the 1940s till the 1970s - schools, shops, churches, childrens' library, etc. There are lots of photos and maps, some of them from members of this forum. The book can be purchased from the KHS for $40 plus postage. See the Society's webpage at http://www.khs.org.au/bradfield.html for details. Unfortunately the Society does not have credit card facilities and postage for people outside Australia is a bit confusing. If you want to use a credit card or buy from overseas, then contact Novella Fine Books, Wahroonga, who advertise the following Australia Post charges: A$16.85 seamail 8 -12 weeks; A$30 airmail 7-10 days; A$35.75 Registered mail. The contact details for Novella are: [email protected]
If you read the book it would be useful for other members if you post your comments under this topic.
Catherine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: New book on Bradfield Park Reply with quote

MichaelH wrote:
The Ku-ring-gai Historical Society has just published (April 2012) a book on Bradfield Park. It is called Almost Like Home: Living in Bradfield Park, and is written by Michael Hogan. There are sections on the British Migrant Hostel, the Refugee Hostel that preceded it, and the Housing Commission Settlement, as well as on the community facilities that served the whole camp during the 1940s till the 1970s - schools, shops, churches, childrens' library, etc. There are lots of photos and maps, some of them from members of this forum. The book can be purchased from the KHS for $40 plus postage. See the Society's webpage at http://www.khs.org.au/bradfield.html for details. Unfortunately the Society does not have credit card facilities and postage for people outside Australia is a bit confusing. If you want to use a credit card or buy from overseas, then contact Novella Fine Books, Wahroonga, who advertise the following Australia Post charges: A$16.85 seamail 8 -12 weeks; A$30 airmail 7-10 days; A$35.75 Registered mail. The contact details for Novella are: [email protected]
If you read the book it would be useful for other members if you post your comments under this topic.

This book has set up a buzz amongst us ex-Bradfield Park Migrant Hostel residents. Even thought it's mainly about the 'Australian Hostel' the chapters on the Migrant Hostel and the local school are so well researched, familiar but also enlightening. We're finding surprising photos with some of us in them, and information that brings back so many memories together with stuff that, because we were children, never knew about. Bravo to Michael et al who contributed to the book. It's wonderful! Now, can we have one written just about the migrant hostel...??? : )
peterv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael

Congratulations on a truly excellent book. Although we were newly arrived migrants from England, we lived in the Housing Commission area. From the book I gather that this was because my father was a teacher sponsored by the NSW Dept of Education. We were at Bradfield Park from 1959 to 1961, and I and my younger brother attended Bradfield Park School. My memories are mainly positive, though it must have been tough for my mother with 4 children under 10.

Peter
Catherine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterv wrote:
Michael

Congratulations on a truly excellent book. Although we were newly arrived migrants from England, we lived in the Housing Commission area. From the book I gather that this was because my father was a teacher sponsored by the NSW Dept of Education. We were at Bradfield Park from 1959 to 1961, and I and my younger brother attended Bradfield Park School. My memories are mainly positive, though it must have been tough for my mother with 4 children under 10.

Peter

Hi Peter, looks like you arrived just as we were leaving. I mention Mr Berriman in the book who was a very hard working and likeable teacher at the school and who was also from England. Was he still teaching at the school when you were there? A pity we never got to tell him how much we liked and appreciated him as he died quite young Surprised(
peterv

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine wrote:

Hi Peter, looks like you arrived just as we were leaving. I mention Mr Berriman in the book who was a very hard working and likeable teacher at the school and who was also from England. Was he still teaching at the school when you were there? A pity we never got to tell him how much we liked and appreciated him as he died quite young Surprised(

Hi Catherine, I did recall the name when I read the book. I see from my father's diary that in 1959 my parents spoke to a Mr Thom and Mr Berriman about which class I should be in. My teachers were Mrs Scanlon (1959) and Mrs Gale (1960). I also vaguely recall a Stephen Berriman (possibly a son).
Peter
Catherine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterv wrote:
Catherine wrote:

Hi Catherine, I did recall the name when I read the book. I see from my father's diary that in 1959 my parents spoke to a Mr Thom and Mr Berriman about which class I should be in. My teachers were Mrs Scanlon (1959) and Mrs Gale (1960). I also vaguely recall a Stephen Berriman (possibly a son).
Peter

Yes, Stephen was one of his son's. Duncan (the eledest) was in my class and eventually became principal of Kingswood High but sadly passed away about 6 years ago, he lived in the Blue Mountains. Mr Thom was my teacher in 6th class. Mr Berriman was very musical (and a little eccentric I think - looking back) and produced and directed all the school plays. Be sure to join our Bradfield Park Facebook page Peter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> Bradfield Park Hostel Forums: All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: