Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum
Hostels were used to accommodate new Australians. 1950's-1970's

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BOAC flights 1970
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat:
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbbungy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob

I have an update, mum confirmed yes we did come out twice on the assisted scheme, we went back to England 23 September 1968 on Chandris Lines by ship now need to find out the ship name. We did not have a passport or need one the first assisted scheme however we did have on the return to England and the return to OZ on the second assisted scheme.

Regards
Karen
Robert (Bob) Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that just goes to show that long held beliefs re assisted passage can be wrong!
Thanks Karen.
As far as research one of our regular contributors here is Richard Hallford.
He seems to know his way around archives in Australia and is a mine of information. He will no doubt see this post and may answer or advise when he sees this.Or you might be able to contact him if you go into Memberlist above this page and personal message him from there.
Whatever good luck and we look forward to seeing your posts and contributions here in the future.
Cheers, BOB. Laughing
richardhallford richardhallford has been starred

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Re Chandris Lines Reply with quote

Sorry, Ive been working myself to death the last few months and missed this post. I will have a tinker with what little information there is and see what I can dig up. I just recently found a photo of a shop that I had a memory of being in between 1959 and 1964. DONT EVER STOP LOOKING! :) Richard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Chandris Lines Departure Reply with quote

I have pm'd you, however, a few questions. Was the departure from Sydney on 23 Sept? Or was it arrival Southhampton 23 September? How do you KNOW this date. Just trying to tie it down. Have you photos of the voyage. Can often tell what ship by whats in the background of a photo. Any Passport info? Any Emmigration papers info? Any information at all that may narrow down the search. At the moment, the Ellenis and the Australis are contenders. I have info putting the Australis in Melbourne on 24th September 1968, as it was on its way to Southhampton then. Very important we get the correct dates, or we chasing ghosts. lol. Also, to search the National Archives, I need fore and surnames of family, as they often went under the Dads name only for emmigration purposes. I cant look at the details of info which has not been opened yet in the National Archives, but I CAN find the entry of the emmigration giles in general, given enough info. Your previous emmigration dates would also help. If private, then just pm me. Richard.
GinaKate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, My sister and I sailed from Sydney Circular Quay to Southampton aboard the Australis on Sunday, 11th August 1968.
We docked at Southampton on Wednesday 11th September 1968.
Is it possible for the Australis to make it back to Melbourne from Southampton in 13 days?
GinaKate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbbungy, we docked at Auckland Wednesday 14th. Suva Saturday 17th. Accapulco Tuesday 27th. Panamar City Friday 30th. Kingston Sunday 1st September. Ponta Delgarda Sunday 8th. And finally Southampton.
Does this sound in any way familiar?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: OOPS Reply with quote

Sorry, but in my last post I type Australis, by mistake. It should have been the Ellinis in Melbourne on the 24th Sept 1968, which makes it a possible contender for bbungy.
GinaKate. No, not possible to return in 2 weeks. There was a worlds first arrangment of sail/fly by Chandris lines using the ship "Patris".
Here is my reference.:-

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=F8durmYulOEC&pg=PA83&lpg=PA83&dq=sydney+ship+departures+23+september+1968+chandris&source=bl&ots=ebUgHJdcuy&sig=iz8gpe_rlXAkec4-nVWLbiZa_ds&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ulJmUbTuNaPsiAemsICIAg&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=sydney%20ship%20departures%2023%20september%201968%20chandris&f=false

Its from a book by Peter Plowman, who is somewhat of an expert in these matters called The Chandris Liners and celebrity cruisers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Australis Web site Reply with quote

For those interested, I have found a good web site re the Australis. A little quirky in its layout, it nevertheless has some good information and photos. Enjoy. Richard.

http://www.ss-australis.com/enter.htm
drathughes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: BOAC Flights to Australia 1970 Reply with quote

My family flew to Sydney on a BOAC flight, a Boeing 707, leaving London on 11 Feb 1970. Flew via Beirut, New Delhi, Singapore, Darwin. Arrived in Sydney 13 February (which I celebrate as the second worst day of my life, the first being the day we inexplicably left my home and a comfortable middle class life in Ireland on 10 Feb. Moved to a global backwater where all the educated talent was leaving in the opposite direction. I was 13 going on 14.
Does anybody know the BOAC Flight number for that route?
Backbyrner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We flew BOAC (Boeing 707) on 8-9 May 1971 and went London-Beirut-New Delhi-Kuala Lumpur-Singapore-Darwin-Sydney. The whole trip took about 30 hours and for an 8 year old it was both exciting (taking off and landing) and very boring (all the other parts...).

On arrival in Darwin for refueling I couldn't believe my (Irish) eyes when I saw grown men wearing shorts and long socks! Ah the naivety of a young boy. I joined the Navy years later and spent a career wearing shorts and long socks... Smile
aussietrekker aussietrekker has been starred

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking off and landing, it was the BEST!
triumph69

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flew BOAC 1969 August. Dulwich Hill Hostel. Digs in Marrickville rd 439 ithink. Mr and Mrs roberts landlords in their 90's. Other boys were Barry from Devon/cornwall Elvis fan. his mate terry from London. Myself from London and Dave from Leeds. other short term guy can't remember.
If I could get hold of manifest of flight or immigration assisted passage records to find Dave to apologise to him for my horrible behaviour when he had come from bells beach in Victoria to Prince Henry where i was working to say goodbye, as he thought i was going back to uk.
Dave was 1st class machinist at "Dufors" in marrickville. i had a short week and a half job as a 3rd class machinist.
If anyone from that group is reading this please contact me.
lou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I arrived in 1969 with BOAC, but could not remember the date. I did a basic search on "http://www.naa.gov.au/" (national archive), just using my surname and year (1969 to 1969) and bingo.
hope that helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Migrantweb.com Hostels Forum Forum Index -> General Chat: All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: